Red days

Geranium

We've discoered that our house is on the old electrical billing system of red, blue and white days. However although I've been on the EFD website I cannot discover how to find out when the different days are.

Just how do I know when a red day is coming up so I can plan to go out?  Also with this system, should I still be putting my washine machine etc on at night? 

Don't tell EDF or they'll be round to take it out!  I thought the idea of the red days was that you didn't know when they were going to happen?  Some friends of mine had this system and the previous owners had set up an alarm which went off when a red day started.  The first time they had their meter read it was swiftly followed by a visit from an engineer who replaced it with the heures creuses system.  Not for new residents - only existing ones - they were told!

Geranium - we have the Tempo option. When we had EDF in, they brought a little meter which we have fixed on the wall, which tells you at 8pm, what the next day is going to be (blue, white or red).

But if you don't have that meter, all you need is this link

http://particuliers.edf.fr/index.php4?coe_i_id=141090

in your favorites. It gives you advance warning about the next day's tariff, from 4.30pm the day before. For instance, I click on it now, and i see that aujourdh'ui is BLUE. Demain will be WHITE.

Be warned that there are about 12 or 14? of the dreaded red days that remain, those are the very expensive rate, and they have to happen before March.

We also had the same system even though the house was new. They EDF supply you with a little machine which sets off an alarm the day before. However it is easy to know when the red days arrive, they are generally the coldest days of the year. After one cold winter we dumped the system and never looked back.

ams

[quote user="Tony F Dordogne"]One of the first things we did when we moved in was to change from the Tempo system, having seen the effect it had on families we knew before we arrived.[/quote]

What do you mean, Tony? This is a genuine question, not a smart-a***d one!

Thanks for your replys and the links, I didn't realise it was called Tempo.  I see on the site that there is still the period 2200 hrs - 0600hrs.  Is this still the cheapest of all under this system and therefore the time I should put the washing machine on?

Thanks again

[quote user="Tony F Dordogne"]One of the first things we did when we moved in was to change from the Tempo system, having seen the effect it had on families we knew before we arrived.[/quote]

Like everything in life, there's always another side to the story, but rather than make emotive statements I'll simply show you the annual cost of electricity for us on Tempo, and then on Base and Heures Creuse using the same figures.

Tempo 1374€   Base 2057€   Heures Creuse 2094€

[quote user="Geranium"]

Tempo.  I see on the site that there is still the period 2200 hrs - 0600hrs.  Is this still the cheapest of all under this system?

[/quote]

The cheapest is a BLUE night, i.e. the night that follows a BLUE day.

With Tempo option, RED Heures Creuses (cheap period) for instance, are still more expensive than WHITE Heures Pleines (daytime).

So you get Heures Creuses and Heures Pleines anyway, but the COLOUR of the day is what determines the rate mostly.

So, in order, from the cheapest to the most expensive, you have:

Heures Creuses BLEU (i.e. the night after)

Heures Pleines BLEU

Heures Creuses WHITE

Heures Pleines WHITE

Heures Creuses RED (more expensive than any of the above)

Heures Pleines RED (the ones you have to take a bank loan to pay for, they are the day by candlelight with no heating, no appliances, no toaster, kettle, hoover, iron, machinery of any kind, no computer, no standby ---all this, if you are the Tempo Special Police, which I am in our household.[:D]

Went back and had a look at what we paid when we were on the red, blue,white system.

2005 €1,743.75

2007 €1,741.35

In 2005 we paid for 9kw, since then we have upgraded to 12kw, which equates to an additional €7 per month. We use more appliances since 2005, and at that time on the red days we were like cave dwellers of old.

So now that we got off the red day system no need to be concerned with walking around the house with a torch, candles etc, using the kettle etc. It has ended up cheaper in 2007 than it was in 2005.

ams

The Tempo system only makes sense if you use a lot of electricity for heating purposes, but are able to do without that electric heating on the coldest days of the year.[:(]

Sounds a bit strange, but it is achievable if, and only if, you have an alternative system of heating for those otherwise crippling red days.

we are on the tempo system, we have a meter in the hall that tells us what the next day will be, the red days in dept 85 (can't speak for others) start on the 1st of november, and finish on 31st march, in all you get 21 red, 43 white and the rest blue, our elec bill for last year was 300 euros thats for lights, oven, microwave, washing machine, kettle, hair-dryer, boiler, computer, tele and sometimes tumble dryer, so not too bad me thinks. no heating we have gas.The ONLY THING I dont use on a red day is the washing machine, forgot to mention we run the dishwasher everyday even on red

Thanks 'element' that's brilliant. I assumed (I know, you should never do that) that white days would be the cheapest.  It's interesting to read of bill comparisons but the fact that EDF don't want you on the Tempo system makes me think that there must be some advantage in it!

We'll stick with it for now, make red days our romantic candle-lit evenings (I meant to do that once a week anyway to save bills and the planet) and see what happens.  Our heating is fuel so at least we'll be warm.

Good on you, Geranium. Last year, when one could make a choice about whether to stick with Tempo or loose it forever, at least 2 different French friends/relatives rang me up, just to make sure I was not going to give it up - they all seemed to think that Tempo had become "too good to be true", i.e. too good an option to continue to offer it. I took the hint, and as you say, at least during those red days, I feel as if I am doing less harm to the planet. Our heating is wood, so that is not an issue.