Velux windows

Gemonimo

Could anyone possibly give any advice or opinion about velux windows. I need two - one for a bedroom (20M²) and one for the en suite bathroom (8M²). Is a rotation model better than a projection model?  Alu, PVC, wood and who would install them, a maçon or a menuisier? And can they be cleaned easily without having to climb on the roof..........?  Thanks in advance.  Jen.

Mr Clair recently installed 5 of them in the roof.

The instructions are clear and easy to follow for a competent DIYer. If in doubt, ask a professional (menuisier I suspect) to do it.

The rotation ones are easy to keep clean, as the "out" side can be brought inside by simply rotating them (!), but they take slightly more space in the room when open, as the glass section protrudes inside and the glass section does get in the way when looking outside.

The projection ones allow a better outside view, but are more difficult to clean.

In both cases, the bigger, the heavier. Three of the the ones Mr Clair installed were over 1 m² and even separated from the frame, it took two of us to lift the glass section into place.

We choose the wooden windows. to keep costs down (and because we don't like PVC).

[IMG]http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q296/clair46/Attic006.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks Clair for your tips.  In the absence of a Mr. Gemonimo I am going to have to find a menuisier or preferably three to get a range of quotes.  My velux will be rather high so seeing out of them is not important - they are for light more than anything. Thanks again.  Jen

Your room looks lovely and bright - well done Mr. Clair!

Thank you HC and Robbie and the escape/safety  route is certainly close to my heart.  My house burned to the ground in three hours a few years ago and although we lost everything, at least we escaped.  My son was only thirteen at the time and when we rebuilt, he insisted that each window had some sort of escape mechanism - rope ladder or just a rope with knots.  Interestingly, we had fitted smoke alarms three weeks before the fire.............

If you go to Brico Depot you can buy their own version (wood or plastic) a lot cheaper than the 'Velux' brand. These days you can buy the extras like blinds, electric opening etc just like you do with the branded version. You also need to know (in French) what type of roof i.e. the type of tile and how they are laid. This is because you buy the basic window and then a fitting kit, the latter varies depending on the type of roof.

A related question.

Did you consult your mairie regarding installing the Velux's? I've just put two in for a client who did'nt want me to ask his mairie just in case he said no.

I can confirm what Clair said in that they are very easy to fit.

Tim

As stated, the Velux rotation model (normally with the code GGL) protrudes more into the room than the top hinged model (code GHL) . The advantage of the top hinged model is that they are better suited for lower installation in the roofspace, as you you can literally walk right into the window and have & panoramic view to the outside, whereas the GGL you have to duck a bit to actually look outside. Both models rotate for easy cleaning of the glass from inside, so that is not an issue. Clairs photo is a great example of where the GHL (panoramic velux) would be best suited as you would have a great view by being able to walk into the window and have it open from the top hinges. Obviously the GGL is cheaper. One thing to bear in mind is the type of glass you opt for ; There are three grades; standard , confort, et grand confort. With increasing emphasis on fuel energy savings and the new energy diagnostics for all house sales, I would consider this carefully.

All Velux models can be installed from within the roof space with no need to climb up onto the roof. I install quite a few on a regular basis and would not recommend other makes apart from Velux, but that is only my opnion. Velux give a long glass guarantee and I have replaced parts on Velux windows that are over 20 years old, so after sales service and parts availability is excellent.  A certian amount of skill is required especially for the flashings on the exterior, but a competent DIYer should be able to manage an installation in half a day, depending on the size.

There are a whols host of innovative ideas on the Velux website   http://www.velux.fr

I bought three roof windows Ariel I think is the make but looking on the net I couldn't find a link so maybe the memory is a bit iffy...however these windows not bad for the money.

I live in Portsmouth but travelled to Newton Abbot to buy them in Trago Mills 2x 780 x980 windows and 1 x 640 x 980  complete with flashing kits £513.42 worth the journey I thought.