Re-wiring cost for 166m2 barn

Fourbarewalls

Just received a devis back from the electrician in france who has been looking at the electrical requirements for our barn conversion. With out going into too much details of how many sockets per room, light fitting and alike the total quote comes to €11,616.00 the TVA is being charged at 5.5% which I know now to be wrong as all work on an old barn being converted into a home has to be charged at 19.6%. So the final cost is coming in at €12255.62. The includes all wiring, sockets and ceiling roses, consumer box telephone sockets and TV points

Has anyone else recently had a home/barn rewired and could you tell me what the total cost of the job was. Love to hear your thoughts

Lee

Without a count of room numbers, holes through walls etc it does not seem off the plannet. Current NF which you have to meet for an inspection from the CONSUEL are pretty demanding about number of TV and phone sockets etc. Four years ago I used to guestimate 1000 Euros a room when I was thinking of buying / converting

I wired my own property and afterwards passed Consuel inspection.

What I learnt was that the cost of materials relating to the tableau, goulottes, incoming RCD, gaine technique du logement etc was many times more than I had estimated based on my UK experience.

Add to that the fact that I used the cheapest available marques, found ways to avoid expensive but labour saving materials (goulottes, platines etc) which a contractor would not, and then consider that the contractor will invariably use Legrand or another marque and then mark up the price to cover the 10 year guarantee that he has to give you.

All in all the material costs (charged to you) will be significantly more than you imagine added to the cost of French labour, the devis may be right.

You really need to provide more information, but one point, by law (which by their definition are there to be ignored) the devis should list parts and labour, does yours? If not request that he redoes the devis correctly, if he is not keen to do so this may answer your question.

We had our house rewired in march and the total cost ws 4500 euros this was a 6/7 room property which had electricity already in the building. We followed the rules for sockets and lights etc as layed down in the various books we had read.

An english electrician who was also registered  in France did the work his name is David Wilson who has his own webb site.

http://www.freewebs.com/dave8432/ 

• 2 weeks later...

Just had my place totally rewired last year. After chasing numerous french sparkies for quotes over 12 months and even going to the expense of going down there to meet one of the more promising ones, I got absolutely nowhere. In the end I found one on the net, and although he had a French sounding business name it turned out that he was Australian. That made life so much easier, as did the fact that by pure co-incidence he was going to be 10kms from my place the next day. (He lived 100kms away).

Talk about a difference.

He got the key off friends that I have down there, went round, I sent him plans of what I wanted done, and he gave me a quote including new junction box, fosse pump, and sockets, lights, wall lights, and electric wall heaters. He had completed the job within 2 weeks. Not only that, all the paperwork was done properly, and he agreed that when the plasterboard eventually goes in he will return and remount everything. I have had plenty of sockets and lights installed, probably more than I need, and he got the EDF certificate too.

It was the entire ground floor of a 22x16m property, with lounge, kitchen diner, bathroom, and three bedrooms. I seem to recall that this was about 5-6k Euros. I have no idea if this was outrageous or not, but actually getting the job done was well worth the cost!

Rob G

I recently had my barn re-wired by a local (ex fridge service man) aquaintance (160m2) during the construction of the partition walling etc. Fortunately the barn already had one light bulb connected so no CONSUEL required!

3 Bedrooms, large living room / kitchen, 2 bathrooms, laundry room. He took roughly 7 days and charged 160 Euros a day. I supplied all the bits which probably came to another 1000. 4 halogens per bedroom, about 12 for the living room and say another 3 ceiling roses. Bathrooms 4 halogens, hall 4 too. 2 sockets per bedroom. (go for doubles!) No radiators though as I am on Gaz.

So, around 2500 Euros total.. However, I think I got a good deal there..