Advice needed on stonework

cowoman

No what you did isn't wrong, but because your pic was so big we have a situation where readers will have to scroll right and left to read the posts. If you return to photobox you will find that just above each picture  in your album there is an option to edit> resize> select website,email. When it us done choose the last option on the right hand column - Forums and Bullitin Boards. Copy & paste the html - this should give the right size:

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/russethouse/Gay1955001.jpg[/IMG]

Cowoman,

We are having our the outside walls of our stone house renovated as I type.

The local marconnaire is undertaking the task.

He has at present removed by hand all loose 'jointing' that has been added to over many years.

Next he will sand blast the joints

He will then fill the joints by 'forcing' the 'cement' compound into the joints with the use of compressed air.

Then the joints will be finished by hand.

It is costing about 100 euros per m2.

It is not a job I would like to tackle myself as he has an array of access platforms compressors etc,

If you PM me with your email address I can send you pics of his progress this far.

John

We have got to repoint the outside of this house because over the years windows have been blocked up and it has a patchwork look in places.My husband wants to do it himself because its too big to pay someone to do it.We have got to find out the mix.Everyone seems to have different ideas,someone says to add hardener others say you shouldnt.I wish there was an official take on this...Any ideas welcome

We Have looked at this

I have repointed (most) of our large barn.    Once you get the hang of it, its not particularly hard.   It is, however, tedious, tedious, and even more tedious.   Your husband may also risk getting something like tennis elbow if he is not careful.    You could do it between you (I am a very small female).

However, it will not look like the professionals have done it .... everyone who looks at our pointing is very complimentary about it.   However, I am not daft, they are just amazed that  I had a go at doing it myself and normally horrified when they see the scaffolding I was working from for the top (safe but high; if you are not keen on heights don't even start, and don't even think you can do it without scaffolding).  However, to my eyes it certainly could look better (and no I am not putting any pictures on for everyone to laugh at thank you).

So, perhaps you need to think about how good you want it to look as well as the cost.

There are many different mixes (so I hear).   I used 4 sand to 1 chalk, but no doubt lots of people will say that is not right (and they will probably be correct !).   However, it stuck ok and it still looks fine (well as good as it ever did !).

Thanks for that.My husband has got a squarish scaffolding tower with locking wheels and he will push it around the house as needed.I am going to have a go as well but at the low level because i go funny when heights are involved.He is fine with heights though,he loves  nothing better than hanging off roofs and basically scaring the life out of me!

Im sure your barn looks good,and it must be lovely to stand back and think"i did that"You have put your heart and soul into it what more could an old barn want

thanks for mail its given me some encouragment

I did all our stonework on our place. Best thing to do is study similiar jobs being done round and about where you live. Ask the guy on the job what mix he uses because techniques seem to vary slightly from region to region.

I used yellow sand and a product called Tradifarge (made by Lafarge, a mixture of white cement and lime) in a four-to-one mix - this was on the advice of various builders doing stonework nearby. I bought a kind of mason's hammer, like a single handed pick, for hacking out the old mortar. I had an old brush head in a bucket of water with me on the scaffolding, and when i'd finished, say, a square meter of pointing-up i'd wash any excess mortar that had got on to the stones themselves and finish off the joint by scrubbing at it. You soon get into the hang of it, and although, as someone has mentioned, it's tedious, the self satisfaction of seeing the finished job is worth it.

This is me on the job!

[IMG]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q223/sheeponabike/wall.jpg[/IMG]