Where do I get firewood from?

ChrisintheNoir

Hello all, I hope you can help out.

I need to organise a supply of wood for this year and wanted some advice on the following:

•  What should I be asking for (seasoned, type etc)
  • Any idea at all of how much I am likely to need to see me through May to the end of September
  • What price should I expect to pay
  • Finally, does anyone know of a supplier local to me (Montignac, 24)?

Thanks for your help.

[quote user="Iceni"][quote user="ChrisintheNoir"]

Any idea at all of how much I am likely to need to see me through May to the end of September

[/quote]

For heating purposes - none.

John

[/quote]

I agree though sometimes May can be cool at night especially if the house has not been heated during the winter. Do get some wood  in stock for next winter as it needs time to season well before burning

The best way to find out is to ask neighbours where they get theirs from, or ask at the Mairie. Ask for bois de chauffage. Most woodburners take  length 50cms ie cinquante centimetres. Oak is best so ask for "chêne". If you want it delivered might be dearer - ask for "livraison". You buy it in steres which are cubic metres. We just found a good place nearby and got 5 steres. €55 a stere inc. delivery. I'm not sure if this is expensive but no choice! As others have said you shouldn't need much for the summer period, but always good to have some stored in a dry place. Most people near us have their own wood, but you need the tools to cut it.

When we had our wood burner put in, we were supplied a very detailed list of woods to burn, and what heat the would create (as a calorific scale) oak is a medium to high, but maximum heat comes fro Hornbeam, which also has the best (eg slowest) burn rate.

Never, but never burn pine.