Gas Fridge

Richard T

I am in the process of buying a property which does not have mains electric. Power will be supplied by a mix of generator and solar. In order to help keep power requirements as low as possible one possibility is to install a gas powered fridge. In the UK there are a couple of models available made by Domestic (used to be Electrolux) but they're quite expensive. The same company makes caravan fridges which run of 12v, 240v or gas but they're likely to be too small and over-engineered as I wouldn't need the option of powering by electric.

My question is, are gas fridges available in France and does anyone know of manufacturer and/or web site?

Thanks.

Richard T

Hi

Thanks for the advice but almost all of the results related to caravan fridges although I found through one web site the same two models as I'd found on UK sites - and they're more expensive in France [:(] I had thought that they may be more popular in France but perhaps not. Oh well, maybe I'll make do with a caravan fridge.

Richard T

Richard we lived with an electrolux "Mont Blanc" bottled gas fridge whilst our house was a holiday home - possibly one of those you have been looking at.  It did seem expensive: I ordered it via the internet from Paris and had it delivered whilst we were here, around £350 including delivery.  It served its purpose until we got electricity but it was always a nuisance trying to light it each time we came over or when the gas bottle ran out, plus I used to worry a bit about any fumes as the instructions advised against using it anywhere other than outdoors or in well ventilated areas.  Hope that you get something sorted out.

Thanks for the reply. I did a little more searching and although I couldn't find the "Mont Balnc" model I did find a few french suppliers of the versions I'd seen in the UK. The prices are similar but, nevertheless, expensive. A full size fridge would be about 1000 euros or a smaller table top type about 500 euros. I might just but a second hand camping fridge off Ebay for 50 quid and take it with me!

I take your point about fumes etc but I remember as a kid we had a gas fridge at home, not because we didn't have electricity but because it was not particularly unusual at the time. My dad recalls it being "a suberb little fridge" that never gave any trouble at all. I also understand that compared to electric fridges they are very fuel-efficient - perhaps another reason for getting one!

Richard T