removing door lock

woody2122

Hi.

I think the only option would be to hacksaw through the lock block. It is usually made of brass, so its not that hard.

Get a new hacksaw blade and not a cheap one. It will be worth it.

You will have to use the blade on its own and not in the saw frame.

This is ok if the lock is on the side you are on.

If not you are best chiseling the rebate off the door frame just where the lock is and then you can get the blade in. a repair job will then be needed on the frame, but its not to difficult. (well not for me anyway, but i am a joiner)

good luck.

nich the wood

• 3 weeks later...
no its an old door, im thinking of a sash/mortace lock that needs a seperate cylinder if the lock lines up okay in the door but how do you secure the cylinder to the lock when its in the door, ive noticed they have a thread at the bottom middle of the cylinder in the screwfix cataloge but cannot work out how it would secure to the main lock, if not i will go for 1 with the whole unit in one piece

If it is an older door and older French lock, it normally should be the type where the key barrel is roughly a figure of eight shape; the largest bit being at the top and the actual locking levers being at the bottom.

Once the facia plates both sides are removed, then when in the unlocked position, the barrel is only held in by a small brass screw.

Is it the barrel which is broken or the actual lock mechanism?

Personally, I'd probably drive the barrel right through with a heavy punch and hammer and thereafter it should be possible to prise the tongue of the lock out of the receiver and open the door.

In France, I would only use a French approved lock (which will fit the door) otherwise you could find your insurance is void.

Brico Depot lists skads of 'em, from reasonably priced to expensive.

unfortunatly a family member stayed at the house and went shopping then lost the key to the front door, then smashed the window to get in, then used a spare key which was in the kitchen to open the door then replaced the cylinder/barrel with a new one on the existing old lock then shut the door again then the next day the actual old lock broke  when they was unlocking the door from the inside, there is a back door  which they didnt break so im entering that way for the moment

Expensive family you have, Woody!

It surely would be a huge coincidence that the lock broke, just after a new barrel was fitted.

Probably, the barrel was not fitted correctly. If this is the case, then you may well find that once the escutcheons (faceplates) are removed, you can jiggle the barrel (after the side retaining screw is removed) using the key and either open the lock or first remove the barrel and then prise the tongue back.

French lock barrels are notorious for being fiddly!

If the rotating lever is not in the precise position, then it's impossible to either replace the barrel or remove it: and to rotate the lever you need the key!

Just for the record if you wanted to completely replace a lock with something entirely different then I would remove lock from the door clean out the rebate using a plunge router and rebating jig then using exterior quality carpenters glue plant a new block of timber in the rebate. I would clamp the door whilst the glue goes off then you can start again with a rim lock or whatever you wanted. Really only worthwhile if its a door you want to save  otherwise adjusting the rebate to take a similar sized lock to the existing is a far more practical solution.