Cooker switch

Gardengirl

We are very cautious about electric switches, switching all plugs off at night etc. We have been looking for heavy current switches for the oven & hob, but haven't found any. Are they used in France? I seem to remember reading ages ago somewhere that switches work differently in France.

Thanks, Jo

[quote user="gardengirl "]

We are very cautious about electric switches, switching all plugs off at night etc. We have been looking for heavy current switches for the oven & hob, but haven't found any. Are they used in France? I seem to remember reading ages ago somewhere that switches work differently in France.

Thanks, Jo

[/quote]

Why????????

French sockets do not have switches.

The "heavy current" switches are the breakers fitted to the tableau. However, if your wiring is reasonably up to date then it should be safe. If you think that it isn't, get it checked! (BTW, things are likely to go wrong in the wiring,  if anywhere and whilst it is being used, rather than when there is no load on it).

Thanks for the replies. We shall no doubt get used to no switch!

As to the question of why switch off power, I consulted my OH, who says:

With the hob, you can be certain at a glance that all the rings really are turned off.

With a hob or other appliance with electronic controls there is the remote possibility of susceptibility to electromagnetic interference.

For switches on plugs generally, you can check at a glance  whether an item is on or not. If there is a standby state, cutting off the supply stops power waste. Also, it is safer to insert & remove plugs without any load.

My OH says also that he's a pessimist, & the more ways to stop something going wrong the better! (S*d's' law & all that). Don't know if 2 degrees in power systems has anything to do with the belt & braces approach!

JO

Another thought - it's not unknown for things left on standby to catch fire.

When we bought ur new oven a few months ago it came with a 16 amp plug, the same as you will find on a kettle or any other earthed appliance. I slid the old oven out, unplugged it, plugged the new one in and slid it into place. No big anything? Quite bizzare compaired to the U.K.! Works fine!!

Not sure about the hob 'cause we have a gas hob.

[quote user="gardengirl "]

Thanks for the replies. We shall no doubt get used to no switch!

As to the question of why switch off power, I consulted my OH, who says:

With the hob, you can be certain at a glance that all the rings really are turned off.

With a hob or other appliance with electronic controls there is the remote possibility of susceptibility to electromagnetic interference. From what source? Are you thinking of lightning and overvoltage surges ? I agrre wholeheatedly that there is a risk to electronics, having had a microwave, bread maker and video all fried by a severe over voltage condition.

For switches on plugs generally, you can check at a glance  whether an item is on or not. If there is a standby state, cutting off the supply stops power waste. Also, it is safer to insert & remove plugs without any load.

Standby is switched off at the appliance is it not? As I mentioned, French sockets do not have switches, niether (to my limited knowledge) do French plugs. There is no argument about the removing / inserting plugs on no load, its normal common sense ( or should be).

My OH says also that he's a pessimist, & the more ways to stop something going wrong the better! (S*d's' law & all that). Don't know if 2 degrees in power systems has anything to do with the belt & braces approach!

JO

Another thought - it's not unknown for things left on standby to catch fire. Agreed and its a waste of power anyway.

[/quote]

Powerdesal, a Power Proffessional also.

• 2 weeks later...
Whenwe had our house wired to French normes we were told we had tohave the cooker wired in direct to a heavy duty 'socket' on the wall.  This looks like a nose with the wires inserted through the 'norstirl' area at the bottom, ouch!!

Easy to buy in DIY shops, and wiring of course goes straight back to your  electric box.