Velux versus lantern roof light ?

Russethouse

Can I be cheeky and ask for some opinions please ?

We are awaiting planning permission to add to and alter an existing flat roof extension.

The architect has designed a pitched roof (which runs at right angles to the existing property) with velux windows, but I have been looking at pictures of these on a house I know, and find the light gained a little disappointing. I like the idea of a lantern roof light, but the priority is light gained.

Has anyone got any experience of  their comparative merits ?

Not sure what you mean by a 'lantern roof light'  Is that anything like a dormer window?

velux windows are pretty good but if you were disappointed with the light gained in the other house it suggests the window was too small.  Going up in size just a little bit vastly increases the amount of light you get.

Good point.  Even with the proper flashing around the installation, a flat roof needs to be laid to the proper falls for it to drain.

In some parts of  the UK, flat roofs have a limited life-span of only about 10 years or so.

Lantern lights are a fabulous architectural addition but have the disadvantage of a flat roof and hellish expense, we opted for a lean to roof and two x 1m sq velux on a 24sqm extension, have a look at the velux brochure to see the options, ratio of window to area is the important thing for you, Ours gives wonderful overhead light during the day, no leaks and of course at night some of us are looking at the stars. [8-|]

[quote user="now just john "]Lantern lights are a fabulous architectural addition but have the disadvantage of a flat roof and hellish expense, [8-|][/quote]

Plus they do not actually let in any more light than an equivalent sized roof window.

Or have I missed something or the point?

They must have some advantage as they have been around a very long time and in the past money wasnt usually spent without good reason. Also there is one on a house that I pass regularly and I can assure you that nobody around here spends money on things that just look good without utility, in fact there are one or two stunning houses that are the exception but everything about them is haute gamme, the one I see is not on a very basic house.

As to light I cannot see that any extra can pass, but the vertical and 45 degree glazing will not get anywhere near as dirty as a horizontal glazed window.

Perhaps Veluxes and the other marks cannot be effectively sealed when mounted without a minimum fall so the lantern lights are used wher the roof has to be near to horizontal and is inacessable for cleaning.

I once knew the CEO of the "American skylight company" (we were studying for an MBA together) his customers were shopping malls and buildings with covered enclosed courtyards. I reckon they used them for reasons of window cleaning and the structural implications of snow loading.