Crepi.

Jaydeez

Our house is very old and when we bought it the french gent who we bought it from had insulated all the ceilings and put pine cladding on the top in all the bedrooms. Rather than disturb it all and all the wiring in the rafters between we papered over the cladding,  Unfortunatly it was not a good idea as when the seasons change the cladding shrinks and swells accordingly.  Hence the paper is constantly splitting.

Does anyone know the answers to the following throught experience.

1. Could we crepi over the paper or would that split as well?

2. If we took the paper off could we crepi on the cladding or would that split?

The other alternative is to take the lot down and put new ceilings up but as it is only a holiday home until we retire in 18 months that seems a lot of work for now so it would have to wait till we are there permanently.

Thanks. John and Dana.

[quote user="Jaydeez"]...The other alternative is to take the lot down and put new ceilings up but as it is only a holiday home until we retire in 18 months that seems a lot of work for now so it would have to wait till we are there permanently.

[/quote]

You could strip the paper off and paint the cladding a pale colour. I've seen that done and it looked fine.

Don't Crepi it! I'm convinced it would crack, and aside from that it'd be covered in spiders webs within weeks, and they're harder to get off crepied surfaces.

I have about 2m in my house and it's a pain in the neck, and it's not even on a ceiling..[:)]