Arrivals Bell

George

For want of a better description - I'm looking for something that can help warn me of someone approaching.  Not that I'm completely unsociable, but if there's only one of us around and doing something, our remote location can be a little worrying - particularly when concentrating.

When a little younger I remember these rubber cables draped across garage forecourts linked to a bell and think somethink like that draped across our drive would be ideal - does anyone know if such a thing exists these days?

The forecourt tubes were filled with either air or water and compressing the tube as a car drove over caused a diaphragm to close a microswitch. Similar principle to the traffic counters that used to be fixed temporarily across a road.

These days it's easier using either PIR (passive Infra Red) detectors or an Ultra Violet beam.

http://www.ultrasecuredirect.com/acatalog/900m_Working_Range.html?gclid=CNfv0rmHvZMCFRlPEAodH3RmCg

http://www.c-p-p.co.uk/product/asp/ProdID/2195/af/page.htm

Thanks GS - why didn't I think of that - Driveway Alarm

Some interesting things there - never had much luck with PIR - they work for a while then just seem to die - lightning seems to take it's toll on anything I've had before, but looks like that ones a good option.  Always a glutton for punishment.

[quote user="Bannon"]We use a dog. No cables, no batteries.... and no cats![/quote]

But a driveway alarm doesn't need to be taken for a walk, doesn't leave deposits every where and doesn't need feeding evey day, There are no vets bills either [:)]

There's a brocante warehouse near us.  It's in the middle of nowhere really.  They have a driveway alarm with PIR to forewarn them that clients have arrived and so need to open up the barn.  One part is connected to the brick built dog kennel and the other side of a drive is a refelective disc attached to the wall.  The first time I visited it made me jump 4' in the air - it's so loud and screechy.  Now, if I take visitors there I don't say anything and wait for their reaction  [6]