New central heating solution

HQ

we will have to replace our oil central heating by 2012 - we are seriously considering a wood pellet system, with a screw feeding system. Has anybody got any experience of this? Very popular currently in the Jura, Switzerland and Austria- and now recommended by rural energy in the UK to replace oil.

I would prefer to have UFH but don't want to lose the parquet - is this a feasible solution. Obviously budget is a constraint but if the cost differential is not huge then it should certainly be a consideration

You can fit UFH under parquet providing the temp is neverr allowed to exceed 27 degrees as this can irreperably damage the floor. This is esily achieved with electric UFH as the thermocouple is actually under the floor and 'film system' UFH is ideal. It is possible with wet UFH but slightly harder and more costly initially.

You could consider new radiators of course and providing you choose low temp or new antique style cast rads then Geothermal could indeed be incorporated at a later date to run these. As someone has mentioned with wet UFH you also have the choice of the heating type / source.

I would suggest that with so many options and the fact this is primarily a holiday home then budget is perhaps the primary consideration in which case electric UFH will be the lowest - any type of UFH is better than alternatives in terms of comfort and runing costs.

Marc

[quote user="EcoPower"]any type of UFH is better than alternatives in terms of comfort and runing costs.[/quote]This caught my attention.

Are you saying that electric UFH will be cheaper to run than any wet radiatior system irrespective of fuel source ?

I cannot definitively say it will be cheaper to run but as a holiday home, if you do the sums for a new boiler, fuel etc then electric UFH usually comes out best over a period of time, say 10 years. Greater than 10 years then really you are into Geothermal or Air source heat pumps as the best option.

All types of UFH can be run at much lower temps than rads so it could be argued that it is more efficient in use.

Again, as a holiday home if you couple electric UFH to internet control then you have remote operation.

You really need to do the sums and amortise costs over a period of time. Electric UFH will always come out lower in terms of capital costs.

Hope that helps

Marc