Oil to electric

plod

[quote user="EcoPower"][quote user="Owens88"]

AFAIK the difference was significant. Electric boiler less than a quarter the price of the oil one - and we freed up space by getting rid of the oil tank.

John

[/quote]

And if you spent what you saved on some sort of renewable energy product (wind, PV etc) then maybe it makes financial sense in the long term as well?

[/quote]

Long term Oil vs Electricity seemed uncertain anyway. Ceratinly the perceived 'per kw' advantage of pure Oil CH vs electricity is narrowing if not disappearing.

I don't live there. If I did I would certainly look to add the air-to-air heat pump that adds aircon in summer. I might also look at wood burners and solar (as at home in the UK).

If building from new I would always look at ground source heat pumps.

[quote user="odile"]how about a wood pellet system? |Very popular in Germany, Switzerland and Austria, and also advised by Uk Rural Energy?
Any experience of this?
[/quote]

We have a couple of projects in progress which are using pellet systems - one is in conjunction with a solar hot water system / thermal store and the other is in conjunction with a ground source heat pump (just commenced).

I know the pellet stove for the first is costing the customer 14000 Euros so he's commited to say the least.

Too early for any quantified feedback but most customers seem to be set as to what they want.

On the flipside we have had one customer say they didn't want to go wood pellet for fear of rising wood costs and supply issues re the pellets. I imagine supply and demand will drive the market prices as usual.

As a rule we generally prefer a mix of technologies, i.e. heat pump plus solar, wind turbine plus PV etc etc. It's hedging your bets and is not reliant on one specific type of renewable.

Marc

Thanks Ecopower.  If interested, see ruralenergy.co.uk - they recommend Herz systems. Agree about uncertainty of cost of pellets in the future- but this certainly applies to oil, gas and electricity! We will study it all carefully and consider a mixed option. The house dates from 1587 and has very thick limestone walls - but we were told heat pumps need perfectly insulated buildings. Happy that we have a few years to study the situation before we have to decide. In the meantime, we will put a good quality wood burning stove in the kitchen/lounge (*we are surrounded by forests) and also learn to wear wooly jumpers and thick socks...

[quote user="odile"]we were told heat pumps need perfectly insulated buildings.[/quote]

A well insulated building is a priority for any property (irrespective of the type of heating) and the best place to spend your money before anything else.

Insulation is a 'one off' cost and has no monthly bills thereon

There are pellet making machines available for home use which may help to minimise ongoing costs.

Good luck with the wooly jumpers and thick socks.

Marc