jonc de mer

Gemonimo

Does anyone have an opinion about jonc de mer or jonc de montagne carpeting?  I need to cover a cement staircase and mezanine without spending bundles of money.  My sister tells me it always smells[+o(] and hurts the feet. I don't want tiles, can't afford nice wood and jonc de mer looks nice. 

I'd be a bit wary about putting it direct onto cement, but Iagree it has a nice natural look.  However having (some time in the dim and distant past) cleaned houses for a while, I can tell you it is an absolute bar steward to clean - especially if you have pets as the hair clings to it like nobody's business.

[quote user="cooperlola"]I'd be a bit wary about putting it direct onto cement, but Iagree it has a nice natural look.  However having (some time in the dim and distant past) cleaned houses for a while, I can tell you it is an absolute bar steward to clean - especially if you have pets as the hair clings to it like nobody's business.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice cooperlola, especially about the cleaning bit, although my dogs live outside.  But why shouldn't it be put directly on to cement?  Should it have an underfelt of sorts?

[quote user="Gemonimo"]Does anyone have an opinion about jonc de mer or jonc de montagne carpeting?  I need to cover a cement staircase and mezanine without spending bundles of money.  My sister tells me it always smells[+o(] and hurts the feet. I don't want tiles, can't afford nice wood and jonc de mer looks nice. [/quote]

Do you mean a concrete staircase, cement is very powdery, in fact it IS a powder.

[quote user="powerdesal"][quote user="Gemonimo"]Does anyone have an opinion about jonc de mer or jonc de montagne carpeting?  I need to cover a cement staircase and mezanine without spending bundles of money.  My sister tells me it always smells[+o(] and hurts the feet. I don't want tiles, can't afford nice wood and jonc de mer looks nice. [/quote]

Do you mean a concrete staircase, cement is very powdery, in fact it IS a powder.
[/quote]

My DIY learning curve is a bit flat.  Yes, it's concrete and very ugly and I would like it to look better, hence the jonce de mer.

[quote user="Gemonimo"]

[quote user="powerdesal"][quote user="Gemonimo"]Does anyone have an opinion about jonc de mer or jonc de montagne carpeting?  I need to cover a cement staircase and mezanine without spending bundles of money.  My sister tells me it always smells[+o(] and hurts the feet. I don't want tiles, can't afford nice wood and jonc de mer looks nice. [/quote]

[/quote]

My DIY learning curve is a bit flat.  Yes, it's concrete and very ugly and I would like it to look better, hence the jonce de mer.

[/quote]

Have you considered laminate flooring, its easy to lay and not too expensive, some of it looks quite good too.