Internal partition walls

SENCO

Horses for courses guys... I've used three systems. Metal batons, timber, and at the moment concrete blocks.

The metals batons are great of course when you have a rough wall and very handy for the insulation and hiding those pipes and cables. Used as a stud partition it's important to put insulation in as this damps down the noise quite a bit avoiding that 'hollow' sound. Timber I used up on our main floor as it was more solid - don't want anybody crashing over the stairs! The concrete blocks are being used in our downstairs bathroom/hall/utility room because it allows me to buttress a stone wall that has a slight lean to it.... nothing serious just me being fussy :-)

[quote user="tj"]We use wood for partition walls as a matter of course, but the french seem quite happy with a 3inch wall, a bit 'cowboyish' though![/quote]

Can you not you make the walls thicker or whatever depth you want with the metal system ?

[quote user="WJT"]

[quote user="tj"]We use wood for partition walls as a matter of course, but the french seem quite happy with a 3inch wall, a bit 'cowboyish' though![/quote]

Can you not you make the walls thicker or whatever depth you want with the metal system ?

[/quote]

Of course you can, as you can with wooden studding, all the metal channelling does is replace wooden studding with dimensionally accurate and straight metal 'studding'.

A wall of greater thickness than doubling up the plasterboard would just need more studding of whatever material to achieve the desired thickness, in effect making two parallel walls that have a larger than normal hollow space between.

[quote user="WJT"]

[/quote]

Why would you bother going to that expense and aggravation, and doubling placo what a waste of money!

75mm x 50mm timber with 13mm placo gives you a four inch wall, and no messing around.....

do it once and do it right!! 

[quote user="BIG MAC"]Metal stud with a layer of sterling board under the placo solid as solid can be cheap as pommes frites[/quote]

I am just about to sign a plaquist devis for building internal walls amongst other things, he is using metal as were the other devis I received. I wasn't aware they would be so thin.

Big Mac, I would be interested to know what sterling board is. I feel now that I won't be able to ask him to build them out thicker but hopefully this may be a solution if they are cheap as pommes frites.[:)]

Sterling board is also known as OSB (oriented strand board) its the stuff that you usually see emergency glazers use to board up shop windows.

It used to be cheap as chips in the UK before the last gulf war was used as an excuse to hike the price, in my experience it has never been comparably cheap in France and certainly not now.

Regarding metal stud framing, I am also a great fan but have you seen how much it costs now? and I dont mean what is printed in your bricowhatever catalogue or on some website I am talking about todays actual price which will have gone up again tomorrow except it is a jour ferié.

Begrudgingly I think I will at least be partially switching back to wood framing.

For what it's worth, we've just about completed the downstairs conversion of our house... about 140m2.. all walls lined with metal and new walls built out of metal baton... never done this before but found it really straight forward.  Very easy to run the gaine (how do you spell it?) for water/electrics, very easy to move and change and amend, very easy to transport and cut, simple and easy space for insulation and is very sturdy now we've boarded up everwhere... would recommend it and would use it again... in fact we will use it again upstairs! 

A year ago I was running my own company and here I am building walls!  never thought that would ever happen... but it's been great... she says in the past tense forgetting that we're nowhere near finished yet! [:D]

Jumbo studding we called it in UK, it can be as much as 10 cm wide/deep/thick, you can also put in timber to the door frames to beef them up a bit for hanging heavy doors from, the doubling up of placo serves a dual purpose, gives better sound insulation and also gets you a 1hr fire rating/protection. If you have to encase a stairwell with placo then this gives you a 1 hr protection zone that can also save lives, we used it a lot in uk for protecting lifts and hallways when we used to renovate older properties that were being readied for nursing homes etc.

I prefer timber, being a chippie, but there is a place for metal studding and it does have the benefit of always being straight, well nearly. Basically if you need structure then go for timber, if you want separation then may as well use metal. Just a matter if choice, however the french style doors are designed with metal studding in mind, just the right thickness for placo either side to match up with your doors.

With all the good points that Rose and Sharkhunter have pointed out there is also the obvious fire protection benefit. Double board,[boarding on next stud so joins on first board are covered] gives extra fire break and insulation and a very solid wall. Saves a lot of trouble if you need height, the studs just slot into each other and you can go up and up and up. Easy to tape and joint too. Also as another poster said somewhere,you can feather end board joints.Appently there is a tool available.

Regards.