Wiring in an electric 'seche serviette'

joidevie

Hello..

I wondering on the correct way to wire a towel heater in a shower room. Do I need to run an entirely independent circuit ? An if so, what form of outlet do I put in the bathroom into which to wire the unit ?

Or, as is the case, there is already a standard 'prise' close to where the heater will go - can I say swap the prise for a double prise and simply plug the heater directly into this ?

Many thank for any help..

First rule : Never assume.

My first thought was that if this is a socket in the bathroom then, naturally, its supply and positioning will conform with the normes. This may or may not be so in your case.

If it IS the case (ie. the supply is protected by a 30mA disjoncteur differentiel) then a proper French (that is one with a 'NF' symbol on it) double-insulated heater/towel rail may be mounted in zone 3 I think it is - I lose track of the zones - at all events it is the zone which is 60 cms from any bath or shower. No part of the towel rail or socket may fall within the 60cm exclusion zone.

As far as I know you are allowed to change a single socket for a double one (I hope you mean a double socket and not an adaptor!) But keep in mind the total current loading for the entire circuit. What goes into the other half, a hair dryer ?

ADDITION>>> Actually the towel rail could go in zone 2 if it is labelled 'IPX3 (this is a splash-resistance rating), but the power to it would need to be a hard-wired outlet rather than a socket, which - I'm guessing - is not the case with you.

paul

paul

I was advised when I fitted one in my bathroom was to install a independant circuit and use a " sortie de câble " I think its called a 'fixed spur outlet', I believe a socket and plug is a no no. There are many regulations for the installation of electrical items in a bathroom ie in to which zone it will be fitted, it would be best to get the advice of an electrician.     

[quote user="tj"]

Hi

Independent circuit, 16 amp fuse or 20 amp breaker, 2.5 twin and earth, block connector inside wall box and  " sortie de câble " plate.

[/quote]

Sounds probably the surest bet. Thanks everyone for the answers..