Mixing paint?

tj

Hi

I just bought a tin of Matt Black paint, not cheap, but very good.

Looking at the finished result, my would prefer a satin/ eggshell finish.

Question: Is it feasible to mix a clear satin varnish ( which we have ) with the paint, to acheive this?

thanks in advance

Tj 

Hi there tj,

If the job is finished with the matt finish, just apply the varnish (without mixing it with the matt black) and you'll get a satin finish.  If you mix the two you'll end up with a blackish wash which is unnecessary if the beams are already black. Is it beams you've done? Sorry, making assumptions again....been erecting scaffolding all day in the rain and really tired!

Aly

It was actually a early 19th century, 'pre dieu' a kind of high backed prayer seat, common in france.

The finish looks great, but it should really have a sheen, to be in keeping with how it was originally.

I will give it a straight coat of satin varnish, just wondered for future use if it will be ok to add some varnish to the paint? its no big deal really can just go and by the satin version.!

tj - here is an idea that will give you a wonderful finish on matt paint :

Get some very fine (000 or 0000) wire wool (any bricolage shop) and some proper wax polish, like Liberon.  Incoloré will do fine.  Apply some wax to the wire wool and rub very gently all over your prie dieu.   Give the wax a few minutes to dry, then rub off with a soft cloth, then a nice duster.  You will get the most wonderful finish which will be nice to touch as well - much nicer than varnish !   Then all you need to do is dust from time to time.  You can always put another coat of polish on later if you want.