Patio decking

Bannon

Costing up patio decking for my next project only to find it's really expensive. Is such decking really necessary and can I not use something else such as treated wooden timber? I've a sneaky feeling that I paying a lot for what I can only describe as ' designer lable timber'

Mr Clair built a small terrace (25m²) at the back of the house last month and all in (ground cover, joists, decking, screws, delivery), it came to €480.

Most of the goods were bought from Gédimat.

The wood is treated and should last a good few years, but I will put a brush a coat or two of lasure on the decking before the winter.

I have used old oak SNCF railway wagon floor timbers to make gates, window cills bartops and coincidentally at the moment am preparing some for decking.

They are 200mm * 50mm * 2.7m long and plane up lovely to a 45mm thickness, you cant buy patina like these have.

Cost €2.50 each by the van load but they are bruddy heavy and can only be collected from the goods yard in the early hours of the morning once a month.

The sleepers and crossing timbers are also very good but just too heavy to manouvre and transport, I am working on it though [blink]

Thanks both.

The area to be covered was 3.5m x 7m so quite a spread and decking alone was working out at round Euro 800.... unless I got my sums wrong which is more than possible.

As to using timber other than decking well yes Thunderhorse, I know the choice is mine it's just that decking is grooved and meant to be non-slip perhaps. I reckon I'll look at ordinary wood and see about treating it somehow.

I had planned some decking earlier this year and found the same problem about costs, especially as I looked around suppliers here in the UK. 

When I went to the timber merchants in Challans, Douet, the price of grooved decking was eye watering, however, they also sold none grooved fully treated wood at 1/20 of the cost of the grooved. I chose it from a brochure they gave out.

Any cut ends need to be treated as you build and there are products specially made for this.

I initially thought it could end up looking like a big pallet but I am pretty happy with it and my neighbours think its good. All my paperwork is in France so I cannot be more specific about materials.

Good luck

I bought pine from my local mill and ran it through  a planer thicknesser, nailed it up to my pine framework and after that bought the green matting to cover the whole deck. It now looks good and every spring i give it a coat to protect it( the wood) and roll out the matting soon after, no splinters or nails sticking up !!