Practical info on the new permis de construire

Clair

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Clair,

Can you help us regarding an on-going work problem? We would like to replace our roof (chrysotile). No problems there. However we are in a small village with an ancient church and chateau. Although not actually visible from our property, we are on the same street, and it is facing us.

To date, we are struggling to find out what we need to do. We have contacted the Maire, no help there - they told us to contact Batiments de France, we did, and also the company at Poitiers who are meant to help us get help for these situations. No reply there either. All we want to know is what type of permit we need to get the work done?

Does anyone know the ruling regarding the permis for this type of property. We would like to do it correctly, friends of ours in the village rebuilt their whole house, they had nothing from the Maire. Everytime we start to enquire we are just told to contact the Batiments.

Thank you.

from your description, it sounds like you are in the equivalent of a conservation area.

The Batiments de France have architects who assess the materials to be used for changes, down to what colour paint must be used on shutters...

For your area (Haute Vienne) you need to contact them here:

Service Départementaux de l'Architecture et du Patrimoine (SDAP) de la Haute-Vienne

Hotel Niaud

36 rue des Vénitines

87000 LIMOGES

Chef de Service et architecte des bâtiments de France: Max Boisrobert

Secrétariat: Auphélie Nourry: 05 55 33 32 72

I was on the sidelines of a similar case a couple of years ago in the village, it took several months for the file to be assembled before it could be passed on for the application. That was with the old rules...

I have just read an article in French Property News which says that if you want to" make other external alterations such as repointing or rendering external walls you need to submit a declaration prealable". Having jsut finished one exterior wall, and about to start another, this seems to be taking things a bit far.. I would have thought repointing was  a repair job, not a change- unless of course you are changing from render or vice versa.

• 4 weeks later...
I just spoke with the secretary at our Mairee who was helpfulness personified. I was having trouble explaining I was doing a loft conversion with a dormer window diectly looking onto the church, she seemed to think it was a Velux we were on about and we could do this without the major permis but she would check. Next day forms arrived, no fuss. I think it only right that I provide a scheme and drawings all in French for the Maire ratherthan find out the hard way something was lost in translation. In my experiences with French Officialdom, they have been at pains to be helpful despite my bumbling attempts at making myself understood.

So is a permis required for a velux? Our village is supposed to be a conservation area and the notaire said that means '.g. you can't paint your shutters red' but there are all colours.  Veluxes were not allowed but there are new ones every time we go there!  The general view is ' do it when no-one is looking'.  Our house is very dark so it would be great'

Likewise friends were told they couldn't have a blue pool, nor a tear shaped one - had to be white and oblong.  it can't be seen from the street and anyway either colour/ shape is not medieval!

• 1 month later...

Hi

I'm looking for some help on the new permis de construire. I submitted an application in January to raise the roof slightly on my house. As the house is considered to be in a conservation area it has come back from the DDE requesting further information.  However I am at a loss as to what they are looking for.  They mention various  reference numbers - which I presume relate to various forms that need to be included - eg  "PCM14 - Une notice décrivant le terrain et présenant le projet".

Does anyone know if there is a standard form for this - I've searched on the official website but can't find anything.  It all seems so complicated that I am now inclinded to just forget the whole  thing !!!

Thanks for your help

• 4 months later...
Below is info on PC MI 04 - we made the same mistake to start with - thinking it was PCM 14!! I hope it's helpful! I think that basically this is a description of the works you want permission for. It's copied from somewhere - so not our words.

PC MI 4 - Article R 431-8 du code de l'urbanisme

Le projet architectural comprend une notice précisant :

·       1º L'état initial du terrain et de ses abords indiquant, s'il y a lieu, les constructions, la végétation et les éléments paysagers existants ;

·       2º Les partis retenus pour assurer l'insertion du projet dans son environnement et la prise en compte des paysages, faisant apparaître, en fonction des caractéristiques du projet :

o     a) L'aménagement du terrain, en indiquant ce qui est modifié ou supprimé ;

o     b) L'implantation, l'organisation, la composition et le volume des constructions nouvelles, notamment par rapport aux constructions ou paysages avoisinants ;

o     c) Le traitement des constructions, clôtures, végétations ou aménagements situés en limite de terrain ;

o     d) Les matériaux et les couleurs des constructions ;

o     e) Le traitement des espaces libres, notamment les plantations à conserver ou à créer ;

f) L'organisation et l'aménagement des accès au terrain, aux constructions et aux aires de stationnement.

A pretty good review in English of the new permis de construire rules can also be found here:

http://www.french-property.com/guides/france/building/planning/

We got caught out on the regs concerning attic conversions, hoping it would not require any formalities, but ending up having to put in a works declaration as we managed to keep it just below 20m2.

In addition to my previous response - We believe that there is no form, it is just a notice, which you write! What is required (we believe) is a full description of the works. We had previously had some plans drawn up by and architect (or so he called himself) and we took the format that he had used making sure we had included all that it asked for in that list in the first post I made in response to your enquiry.

We wrote it in the 3rd person/passive. just wrote a series of sentences relating to each of the aspects of our planned work (in so far as we could!), the orientation (sud, est etc) and noted the materials to be used. We had had the same problem as you - we had submitted the new version of the Declaration de Travaux and DDE came back to us asking for Planning Permission - I went to see the writer of the letter at the office in Cahors to find out exactly what was expected. He was helpful but I got the impression that he was not used to receiving visitors!!

He had also prepared a little sketch (he didn't know I would call in!) and I was told that if our proposal didn't look like that - it wouldn't be passed! ahhh well! We've just re-submitted, so we await developments!

Good Luck with your application.