PVA

Llantony

We are tiling our bathroom - on plasterboard walls and tiled floor - and have been told we first need to apply something that sounds like 'accrocheur',  a brand name is hibotaque for walls and hiboprime for floor (spelling unknown as French handyman didn't have his glasses on to check).  This is to make sure tiles don't fall off wall and the floor ones don't 'claque' on the existing one.

OH says we'd normally use PVA.  Is it the same thing? Do they have this in France and if so what is it called?

Ibotac is now called weber.prim RP details here

and iboprime is now called, I think, weber.prim AD more here

Not sure if they are the most suitable products for your bathroom. They do all every kind of adhesive and primer. Look on their website or go to your nearest tile supplier or Point P type place and get a paper catalogue (big but full of detail and advice)

Danny

I use Résine d'accrochage which you paint on the wall first. Bricomarché sell a 2 litre container by SB Mercier (Bostik) and other Bricos may have one by Sika. I suspect it is PVA but don't know for sure. Works for me and never had anything fall off afterwards. Seems to work on most materials including plasterboard, plaster, crepi and concrete.......................JR

[quote user="sheldonrobbo"]never use pva as a tile primer .....it is a totally unsuitable product ....and can lead to long term problems[/quote]

Like what?  I've always used PVA as a surface sealer prior to tiling so that the newly plastered surfaces don't draw the water out of the tile adhesive.

Never had any problems afterwards.............