Insert stove problem

Uffcat

We inherited an inset stove with this house.  Our only previous experience with such things is a "proper" multifuel stove, ie freestanding.   We could always damp that one down to last overnight but we don't seem to be able to do that with the insert.  We close down all air inlets etc and still it roars away.

There is no make written on the stove and we have no instructions.  The only info is a model number, S 1 O (or 0) on the front.  There is one knob on the top right which we can't work out a function for.  It leans downwards and appears not to be bent but will not move in any direction.  Does anyone know what this is for and which way the knob should go?  It is obviously jammed - any suggestions for making it move?  Might this be a "jammed open" vent?

[IMG]http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l360/janlawther/DSCN4410a.jpg[/IMG]

It's identical to the one we've just inherited in February. The lever top right is a damper and moves a metal plate in the top of the fire. It's probably gunged up. Position shown is drawing... Pull out and down to dampen.

I started this thread a few days ago. Your door doesn't seem to have a fibreglass seal either to seal the door edge against the flat surround of the insert casing. Brico-Depot supply them flat at 15mm for a few Euros, but last week in Angouleme they'd sold out...

Hope that helps.

PS - you may have two ringed pull-out levers at the bottom: they allow the door frame to rise up inside the chimney casing (for an open fire) on counterweights - it'll also give you good access to the damper plate.

Thanks for that.  Not sure how we will "ungunge" the lever but at least we know which direction it should be going in.  WS40 hasn't achieved anything yet.  So that's why we can't damp it down.

On the point of the two ringed levers at the bottom - yes we do have these.  We had no idea what they were supposed to do, other than apparently disengage the bottom hinge and allow the door to open from the top (only about three inches).  We have just been turning the levers around so they propped the bottom open on the casing!  I can't see how the door would go into the casing.  How does this work please?

Do you have any idea what make these fires are please?  You're right about the seal, too.  I'll look out for one when we next go to Bricodepot - our nearest is Perigueux.

I don't know any more about the fire than you, unfortunately. I discovered the counter-weights when I dismantled the metal box chimney breast. Undoing the levers at the bottom allows the bottom of the door (closed) to be pulled out a little and then it lifts up almost verticallyinto the chimney breast.

If you've a traditional stone chimney breast - or only a flue pipe - then the foregoing may not apply.

[quote user="thunderhorse"]Undoing the levers at the bottom allows the bottom of the door (closed) to be pulled out a little and then it lifts up almost verticallyinto the chimney breast.

[/quote]

Ours swings out a little and then up & over the top of the fire box, rather like a garage door.

Wow!  Whole new world here!  After unscrewing a piece of wood which was impeding the decorative brick top piece from hinging out we discover that ours does exactly the same.  We had no idea!  The wood was obviously put there to stop bits falling down or heat escaping and presumably there is a better way of doing this or a better way of mounting the wood so that the brick piece can move?

About the only problem now is that we still can't budge the damper rod.  I can't see how to get to the assembly to try to free it either as it seems to be fully contained somehow.

Still pursuing the damper problem, we have had the chimney vent off so that we can see the top of the stove.  We can see the rod coming up from the outer damper handle and it appears to be connected to another rod which it should presumably turn by pulling the first rod in or out using the knob on the actual frame of the fire.  This runs through the "chimney" itself and has a securing nut on the other side.  It's a difficult spot to reach but so far we have been unable to persuade it to move.  Whatever sort of plate the rod should be moving is presumably jammed in position inside the chimney itself and I can't see how we are supposed to reach it.

I'll try to get my camera in there to take a picture as I'm not sure I'm explaining this very well!

By sticking my arm (plus camera) down from the chimney vent I've come up with two photos.  The first shows a view from above.  The thinner rod from the lever comes in on the right hand side and connects to the other assembly, which then has a thicker rod running right through the chimney.

[IMG]http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l360/janlawther/fire3.jpg[/IMG]

The second picture is a side view showing the lever system.  I assume this is stuck in the "open" position.

[IMG]http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l360/janlawther/fire1.jpg[/IMG]