disable propertys

i have had a acsident in uk and now i have got my conpsensation I want to live in france. i have dificult to talk so knowone understands me in here and people are very judgemental about what you shude look like or sound like. i want to buy something all on one floor and with a letting unit for others like me. i could help other people like me then to have a holdiay. i have about 500 thousand pounds to spend, but i dont know what that is in frances. it must be very flat. if you now of prepoertys like this can you tell me please. it must be near to the post office and also to a cinema.

i think i have put this in wrong place and i dont now how to move it to gites can someone tell me how?

Most modern French properties are constructed on a 'plein pied' basis - ie, single story with all of the accommodation on the ground floor.  Some of these come with a 'sous sol' (full size basement) which usually houses the garage and offers scope for development into a separate 'unit' with it's own private access.

If you look on this [url=http://www.partenaire-europeen.com/]private sales website[/url] you should find lots of examples of this type of property, some of which may have already been converted into the type of arrangement you are thinking about.

Each property ad contains information regarding the general location, nearby facilities, details of the house construction, etc.  They feature photos of the property and in many cases, a helpful floorplan.

Enough to give you a general idea of what's available...

[quote user="Janusian"]

i have had a acsident in uk and now i have got my conpsensation I want to live in france. i have dificult to talk so knowone understands me in here and people are very judgemental about what you shude look like or sound like. i want to buy something all on one floor and with a letting unit for others like me. i could help other people like me then to have a holdiay. i have about 500 thousand pounds to spend, but i dont know what that is in frances. it must be very flat. if you now of prepoertys like this can you tell me please. it must be near to the post office and also to a cinema.

i think i have put this in wrong place and i dont now how to move it to gites can someone tell me how?

[/quote]

Your posting is in the right part of the forum Janusian and , I am sure there will be somebody out there who can give you some more info and encouragement

best wishes,

Leo

Janusian ......I have been involved with this type of "Holiday Letting " property in the UK where there are lots of places for the disabled available .....I know...that there is a demand for such properties from people who wish to holiday in France and there are web sites connected to  lots of charities that cater for disabled access holidays and are looking for places outside the UK to offer on their sites ...I have even been asked by some I know and have had dealings with if I would consider putting my French "Bungalow " on their sites  so I know they are short of places .... Transport  and money is not a problem.... lots of people as you will know have the type of car they need on Motabillity Allowance to carry wheel chairs....they just want find and  book a place that gives them access and they are easy to find ...I wish you every success with your venture ...if only more Gite owners would consider access  for  wheel chairs ..wet rooms. with seats ... toilets with grab rails etc  then many  people who want to..... but cant .....may have the pleasure of visiting France .

.. May I suggest that if you have the funds available you find where you want to be living  ..... and then consider having  built to your specification the "bungalow " you want to fulfill your requirements  and those of your disable guests....In  France you may  find this easier to do than you think...You could build a great disabled access facility.....you would not be short of guests !....Just Google  "Holidays for the disabled  "   you will see the sites that the huge number of people who require such access only look at when planning their holiday ...  good luck ....

Janusian, one thing you might want to investigate first is how disabled access rights and facilities in France compare with the UK, as it seems to me that the UK is better in this regard.

I may well be totally wrong, but when I am in France there does not appear to be as good a level of of disabled facilities especially in non public buildings and access to many attractions, shops and restaurants surprisingly do not have disabled access provision, which in the UK the owners would be legally compelled to provide .

Good luck with your venture.

i do now what you mean but i am just so sick of atitude in UK, not just me but too frends as well, we all want out, in uk everything is judged on butiful peeple and being something we cant be so we want out where peeple dont ujdnerstand us because we dont speek french not because they cant be botherd. we now it will be difficult but its difficult in uk so wud rather it be difficult for good reason than just because people are pig ignorant. we have been watching this forum for a long time now and listning to everything peeple say so we not stupid and think that there is no problem.

Sprogster....You are so right ....the French need to get themselves in gear when it comes to provision for disabled people ....but then their attitude I sometimes think is "out of sight out of mind ".  As as far as regulations for ramp access to public buildings are concerned its just another regulation that many seem to think "does not apply to France "  The UK can hold its head up high on this one...the French certainly cant .....

I think you need to do your research on location first of all. Decide whether you want weather like the UK or warmer. Decide if you want to be by the sea or inland. Decide if you want rural, in a village or in a town. Remember if you are aimimg to attract British holidaymakers, you will need to be near an airport and not far from a motorway for the people who drive down. Having answered all these questions, look on the map and make up a schedule of where you would like to visit. There are masses of wonderful chambre d'hotes establishments in France where you could stay and the owners would be able to answer questions about their areas. Having found your area then look at what the estate agents and the notaires have for sale. Remember you are in the driving seat as a cash purchaser, so you can do some serious bargaining for what you want! If you cannot find what you want then go to see what is being built in your area and the quality of the finish. You could then buy land and have something built - you would have to allow a minimum of a year for this and it could take up to 18 months! So this is a longer term solution and it seems to me that you may want to be installed in France quicker than this! Good luck with it all!

we wud like to be in france next week if we cud. health is a big considerastion in this. my frend had to wait for six months for op to striaten his leg so he cud use his wheels. that a long time to stay in one place til sumone moves you!!!!!!! there is three of us so if it dusnt make a profit it dusnt matter we can still live. uk may be better than france at making ramps, but ramps isnt everything. i have frend lives in a adapted flat, everything in flat is in r each, but 17 floors up - he sits and counts clouds passing window all day. no peeple to take him out. he is a vr inteligent man.  

Janusian, you are clearly disillusioned with the UK, but you must do careful research to ascertain if you would be better or worse off in another country before making any final decisions.

Some countries have a less enlightened approach to disabled people and there is a view that in France there is a cultural out of sight out of mind attitude to disabled people and a more institutionalisation approach, rather than to actively encourage and support independent living.

Don't automatically assume another country will by be an improvement, unless you have lived there on a trial basis first.

Janusian.......May I suggest that you take the oportunity to visit ....and research  " disabled living  " in France  and see 1st hand what is available  for you... and for  your  group  if three of you are planning living together and there are health and  mobility issues .You can Google "Disabled Holiday Directory " and contact them and talk to the lady who runs the site  You will find she has travelled a lot herself .... most of it driving a horse box ! ...and .she walks with the aid of two sticks so knows what it is like to need facilities outside the UK....She will also help you with good advice on a place to stay . You may also get some feed back from her on what the users of her site have experienced on their holidays ... the bad ...as well as the good points of managing in  France with a disability .  You could then go over  and see what is required in running a Gite that is fitted out  for the  provision of holidays for disabled people.... and get advice from the gite owner on just what it takes to run such a place  ... This is what I would do before I commited myself into parting with any serious money if I was in your position ...It took three years for me to find my house where I wanted to be.... there is so much to consider before you make your move and such a lot of information to absorbe first.....cant be rushed ..lots and lots of reaserch....good luck ...