concrete floor

chesney

hello - in process of doing new concrete floor - plans were to do 50mm gravel 50mm builders sand, dpm, 100mm insulation, topped off with 100mm readymix concrete.

Someone has suggested I use 'Toutvennant' rather than gravel & sand, what is this? Does anyone have any links or pics of this material. Should I top this 'Toutvennant' with sand also before dpm?

thanks in anticipation.

[quote user="chesney"]

hello - in process of doing new concrete floor - plans were to do 50mm gravel 50mm builders sand, dpm, 100mm insulation, topped off with 100mm readymix concrete.

Someone has suggested I use 'Toutvennant' rather than gravel & sand, what is this? Does anyone have any links or pics of this material. Should I top this 'Toutvennant' with sand also before dpm?

thanks in anticipation.

[/quote]

hi ok

It means " all commings  "  or as you would say in the U K  " crush and run  ". you can use it instead of the gravel but you still need to use the sand

Dave

tout venant  is the local equivalent of type 2, "scalpings" or "oggin" used as a compactable sub base.

Dependant on where you live and your luck  it it may be crushed chalk with small stones, in my area it is mainly tarmac road scrapings.

Whatever its make up it will be fine for your application but remember to wacker plate "une dameuse" it down, if using a DPM blind it out with sable à lapin.

• 2 weeks later...
Just had ours done and we had a load of broken terracota roof tiles in one of our sheds. We just smashed and laid those down and then concreted over. It will make the floor much stronger as we had to chip a section of the old existing concrete out and found the previous owner had done the same thing. Chipping concrete was far easier than chipping concrete and tile!