Biulders waste

tonyv

[quote user="tonyv"]As I start my renovation project, I am building up heaps of rubbish. So I need a skip, but I realise I've never seen one in France. Are they available? If not, what is the preferred means of disposal?

[/quote]

If you are just starting a renovation project, you may find that buying a trailer is an absolute must. Or at least for us it has been. As the price of deliveries from bricos and bm's has escalated (and also the hire cost of a benne or tipper), we bought an Erdè remorque large enough to transport plasterboard, doors and windows; and have also done dozens of trips to the dechetterie with gravaux (rubble) and loads of other junk. It's worth its weight in gold as far as we're concerned!

We got ours from Feu Verte (who also fitted the numberplate, and will fit a towbar if necessary), but they are for sale everywhere.

Good luck.

Hi

Best way is to keep it separated into types of rubbish, ie timber, metals, plaster, stone etc etc, and take to your local dechetterie, ( tip ) it is free to dispose of, as it is paid for thru the local taxes you pay.

Not at our local tip it isn't for artisans who bring their waste in their work's vehicle. We pay by the m3 and get an invoice from the main Trésor Public for the whole agglo where we live - usually about €3 per visit. For benne location beware that you can only put one type of rubbish in one benne and if it has to go on the road or pavement then you must have written authorisation by the local maire and this is usually for a very limited few days,lights and warning panels must also be displayed. We pay on average for 10m3 container between €300 - €350 and ONLY hire them when its one kind of rubbish as sorting charges are horrendous too.

Woo, Merde [6], that is expensive! No wonder I've no seen many skips in France!

I like the idea of a trailer, and have looked on ebay (both France and UK), but anything of a decent size/condition seems to get knocked down at between 1000 and 2000 €, which  I don't think  I'd recover very easily.  Still, it's tempting, and  I'll keep it in mind, thanks.

My project isn't that big, so I guess loading up the car and making many trips to the déchetterie is going to be the most cost effective, if not very green.

Thanks, all, for your comments.

We disposed of three small tipper loads of broken roof tiles about 1 kilometre down the road. Person had 'Rempbais Accepte' sign uup as he was levelling then building a drive. You should be able to source a new trailer with a 1.80  by 1.30 deck and 40 cm sides for under Euros 800. Maximum weight will be 0.5 tonnes all up.

• 2 weeks later...

Trusty 18 year old Volvo 740 estate loaded with sacs off everything and off to the dechetterie.

On our 1st few trips we had our UK registered car so the dechetterie policeman wanted to see some 'local' ID ie utility bill. Once produced no problem. Dod he think we would bring rubbish all the way from the UK to tip in France.....who knows.

Sometimes use a trailer and where we are no issues. Like a many issues in France the rules can be applied very different in different regions and departments.

Suggest you start small with the odd bag and see how the local worker/s at the dechetterie respond to you. Once you have been there a few times and they will know what you are doing probably no issue.

Good luck

I got my trailer in the UK for £100 by responding to an ad in the local paper and making an offer for cash. It has saved us £s on delivery charges and skip costs. All rubble etc goes to the dechetterie in the trailer. e-bay seems expensive for cars and trailers, in fact a friend who was looking for a car was told by a garage that they advertise all their cars on e-bay because they get more for them on there.

Suggest you look in the local paper.

[quote user="jxedwards"]

Dod (sic) he think we would bring rubbish all the way from the UK to tip in France.....who knows.

[/quote]

Well, we hired a van in the UK to bring some stuff over and having got to our house in France it broke down. Whilst there I demolished a wall etc and did not get the van back in time to take the rubbish to the decheterie. The only solution was to load the French rubbish and take it back to the UK.

Will admit we were signalled to enter the security shed and asked to open the back. The two officials did not seem to indicate that a load of rubbish in the back was strange.

Paul