Carpet fitting

Barbel Bob

Hi Zeb,

I did ask him and he pulled a face, one thing for sure we cannot afford to pay 500E for fitting so i was just after some tips from someone who has already attempted to fit one, either that or we do without [:(]  depending on how hard it is. Yes i do think they fray.

We got a price from another shop who gave us a painter and decorators phone number for a quote for fitting the carpet [8-)] I suppose they are multi - skilled????

Jue

The most important thing (and generally you won't find this even in the UK) is to acclimatise a carpet (how this may relate to your type?) in the room for as long min 24 hours as possible beofre it is cut /stretched etc

Yes, I have years of carpet fitting experience - in case anyone wants to know.

[quote user="Barbel Bob"]

Hi,

500e !!!! twice as much as the carpet is to buy? [/quote]

I agree that it is a lot of money compared to having a carpet, gripper, underlay etc fitted in the UK which is a skilled job as opposed to gluing, and yes I too have many years of experience, but why do you compare it to the purchase price of the carpet?

Its like saying that paying two guys for a week to paint your house cost a lot more than the paint except in this instance you would be fuming when the "fitter" was in and out within the hour.

As there is no stretching or gripper involved when gluing this type of carpet then all your husband has to be concerned with is if he can lay it without any humps and trimming the edges, as said before only your husband can answer your question.

FWIW I am pleased to be away from the cleaning and hygiene issues of carpet and will stick with carrelege, if I did feel the need for confort I would buy a traditional carpet from the UK, I feel that these natural fibre things are just a fashion fad that come with far more problems than a traditional carpet, our predecessors knew a thing or two that we forget in our rush to be à la môde.

Have you considered the work involved if you have to remove it one day when it is stained, damaged or falls out of fashion?

My inlaws had some carpet fitted by someone recommended by G P Decors that fitted them. Well the boss brought along two young lads and then pushed off leaving them to do the job. Anyway I have never seen anything like it in my life, They put glue down over the floor which had an almighty fumes and then sat back for a few hours to let it go off.

Then anyone with any noddle atall would start with say one edge along a straight wall and go away form that. NO, they started by just dropping the carpet in the middle of the room and just cut little bits off until the reached the walls!!!!

You would hope that you would have some nice off cuts from a large carpet.. You must be joking not with these idiots. The boss came back and said what a good job they had done! They even had to stick bits back in at the edges because they cut off to much. And it was not until a few weeks later that dirt started sticking to patches of the carpet was it found that they had dropped loads of glue in two patches of the carpet and just cleaned off what they could.

I don't think they will be recommended by us..