Moving alone to France?

Just casting about for opinions and ideas at the moment.

I planned my move from the UK to the sun for 15 years--and still got it wrong!

First choice was France, 2nd Italy but I took the 3rd option and moved to Cyprus--seemed like a good idea at the time--everyone speaks English, road signs all in English, drive on same side of road etc... Moved to a new house on a development (supposedly under"guarantee"--ha!) as this also seemed like the low maintainance option. Now realise I hate the place.

If I give my likes /dislikes could anyone give their opinions on my chances of living contentedly in France?

Like: space, older houses, QUIET--no traffic---- antique shops, markets, auctions, walking, theatre, drama groups (maybe), I have 2 cats and a dog so want somewhere they will be safe from hunters/ traffic/ animal poisoners (all common in Cyprus!)

Dislike: modern estates, noise, traffic,

I speak, understand and can read and write a reasonable amount of French and have started to relearn via CDs and books (and French movie channels!)

ANY and all advice gratefully received. I shall be living alone in France (apart from said pets) but am used to that as been widowed for several years now.

Many thanks,

Pauline

Hello cypruslady,

I too am contemplating moving alone to France. I have just returned from Normandy where I went to sus out if I would like the area. Several things come to mind when I read your post. I have an 86yr old Mum here in UK who I may need to pop over several times to check on, so I need to be near ports (dont like flying). Normandy area where we stayed was wonderful but too far from ports and too long crossings but beautiful nevertheless. Never saw a gendarme all week, could count on one hand how many traffic lights we went through(!!) and the Normandy people were a delight [:)]helping where necessary with words etc that we got wrong. Lots of space and the countryside was a delight. Lawns manicured to within an inch of their life and you got a wonderful sense of pride in their country from the French. Something sadly lacking these days in the UK. Quite a few Brits about some of whom we met and were welcomed by.  I am now planning a trip to see Pas de Calsi in the North as the accessibility to ports/chunnel are closer.

Good Luck and I am sure you will find what you are looking for, France seems to have all that you require,

roseysan[:D]

Thanks Roseysan---encouraging info and I need all the reassuranceI can get at the moment!! Fell I might sit in a corner and suck my thumb at any moment.[:(]

I'm thinking of further south--I love the sun.my "plan" at the moment is to have afew days in France driving around an area--I thought I'd start at Toulouse--and look for property, tho'  will rent first this time.

Not sure how much longer I can stand Cyprus..................

All advice welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pauline

Hi Cypruslady, I am not really qualified to answer like Roseyan because I am not alone, I am married with two dogs [:)]. But felt compelled to put my two cents in.

We have a place here in the Dordogne near Sarlat, it is very rural and beautiful, we do love it and it is perfect for us. However, going by what you have said I would hesitate to recommend rural France for someone like yourself. I know that you said that you want somewhere quiet and no traffic but I would recommend something with a little more life than out in the sticks.

I would highly recommend looking at places like Vaucluse in department 84 in Provence. You are away from the coastal crowds and the traffic in the Var department but in a very beautiful historical area with a lot going on in the way of culture, arts and wonderful markets and antique fairs. In fact I believe Isle-sur-la-Sorgue in the area is renowned for it's antique shops and fairs.. This is just my opinion but if I were living on my own, I would look at a small village houuse in one of the very beautiful historical villages in the area. There is space and beautiful countryside, sunshine but there is also access to large cities and areas such as Marseille, Nice and the beautiful small town of Aix en Provence. Of course it is expensive but an old stone village house with a small outdoor space can be still be had at very reasonable prices.

I am sorry to hear that it has not gone so well for you in Cypress; however, I am sure it must have been quite an adventure nonetheless. I have never been to Cypress but have heard nice things particularly regarding the sunshine [:)]. I for one would be very interested to hear how you get on, best of luck.

Hello Pauline,

We feel that we must reply to your letter, which we have only just seen today. From everything that you say, we think that France will work for you! We are in the Charente and live in a French hameau with charming French neighbours but there loads of ex-pat Brits in this area. Beautiful quiet rural countryside amd house prices still not too expensive.and plenty of space for your animals.

There are plenty of day to day activities which you can join in with. Also there are Drama Groups, Choirs, arranged trips and social dinner evenings at local restaurants. There is very good state medical system, and in a lot of areas, the Brits arrange back-up support!

We are well served with low-cost flights to the UK from local airports. You mention that you are begiining your search in the Tolouse area, which we understand is a beautiful area, but the Midi-Pyrenees is rather expensive!

If there is any further info that you think we may be able to help you with; please do not hesitate to get in touch with us. Good luck!

Regards

Maxine.

A bit O/T but can I ask what it is you don't like about Cyprus??? I have never been there but my brother has lived there (Limassol) for years and loves it , from what I have seen (albeit from here) it looks a bit errr like the sort of  "holiday"  places I can't stand and very hot and dry , again not my cup of tea but it suits some people... maybe it was seeing one of those TV programmes about Aya Napa that put me off [:-))]

Pauline

One thing I would add as I lived in Cyprus many years ago, for several years, is that the weather is more predictable there. France only really has July and August for more or less guaranteed sun. However, I prefer the French climate as I hate long periods of sunshine.

I think the idea of living in France somewhere along the Mediteranean  coast would probably suit you.

Many thanks, everyone, for your kind and informative replies. I really appreciate the trouble taken.

I shall start looking in France later this year, when I can arrange a trip over. I feel now that I will find more the lifestyle I'm looking for in France, ratherin Cyprus. Yes, it;s hot here---we're having a heatwave from Greece at the moment so hit 40C on school playing field today (I'm doing a 3 month supply maternity cover as I had nothing else to do!)but the weather isn't everything.

Why haven't  I taken to Cyprus? It's soul-less, I find, with little self indentity. Not everywhere is like Ayia Napa (which is rather pretty by the harbour and quiet in winter/spring) but I feel as if I'm living somewhere between Disneyworld and the set of Desperate Housewives...maybe I have just turned into Grumpy Old Woman [;-)]

Thanks once again--I wish you all continued happiness in France.

• 2 weeks later...

We very nearly made the same mistake. We were looking at Cyprus around the Ayia Napa/Paralimni area for years. We went on frequent holidays, ie, 3 months at a time, but in the end, like yourself we came to the conclusion that it was getting to be a "concrete jungle" and characterless. Incidently, my father was a Greek Cypriot so I suppose that was our initial attraction - together with the other advanatages, ie, language, driving, etc, but that is not everything!!

We went to France in April of this year, for the first time, and knew instantly that this is where we want to retire to. We have since bought a bungalow in the Charente region and will be having the final signing with the Notaire on 1 August. We have bought in a small rural village called Pouissay, which is only 8 kms from Chef Boutonne, which has everything you need, including a quaint cinema.

We are aware that there are many hurdles in front of us, but we will just take a running jump over them. We are going to need lots of help - we do not speak French - only what we learnt at school and that was 50 years ago![:D]

• 2 weeks later...

My situation has gone from bad to worse here in Cyprus, so house for sale and dog and cats off to vet for Pet Passports to be put into action.

Re French language--it's amazing just what you do remember when you start to "tune in"again. I watch the news in French on TV and can pick out more bits each week (it's a start!!) and there are some excellent CDs, and probably DVDs too. Try ebay, and I think Michel Joseph (? might have wrong name--will check ebay!!!) CDs are supposed to be excellent, or maybe your local library will help?

In the 90s I worked in eastern Europe (in the infamous "orphanages") and had several Czech teenagers come over to the UK to stay with me--within weeks they were speaking good Englsih (enough to get by) simply because no-one spoke Czech!

Good luck with your plans--I hope everything goes well for you.

Pauline

I lived in Cyprus for two years a long time ago and from what I've heard, it's gone downhill since then.  The main thing I remember missing is the colour green you see in the UK - and also in France.  Everything looks so lush in the UK and France when you come from Cyprus!  You still get hunters in France, but in my experience so far they're not as uncontrolled as those in Cyprus!  However, they do exist and I know a lot of people have concerns about their pets being in danger from them, so you do need to think about that.  I don't remember anyone sticking to a particular hunting season in Cyprus though - whereas they do in France, so at least you know when you need to be careful!

Thanks Debra, This is very useful information. Hunting here is widespread, and as you say, anything goes. There is also a huge poisoning problem---Lanate is put down anywhere and everywhere and I meet someone every week who has lost a dog or cat to it.

I will have to reseach my area of France carefully, and any advice on how to avoid a hunting area gladly received!

Pauline

Hello again cypruslady,

Glad that you are now actively putting your wheels in motion for your proposed move. My house is also on the market but in the price bracket that mine falls into (it is at the lower end of the market) , it could take some time. But I am resolute that France is where I hope to be in the next 12 months. With regard to your French language tapes, I bought some off e-bay on cd and play them in my car while I drive around. Surprisingly it does work and it is good fun. Only downside is when you walk into Tescos and start talking in French! [:$]

God luck with your house sale and let us know how you are getting on

roseysan

Hi Roseysan, Thanks to you, and others who have all posted such great advice and opinions. It has all been trmendously helpful and I'm now finding a way out of living here and moving on to France.

I might be able to let my house here and use that rent to rent to a house in France--in this way I hope to visit several areas and look at lots of different types of property before committing to buy again.

I know this sounds like a basic question (and I did do a lot of original research on France, but gave the books to a friend when I came here):

Can I just arrive in France, with a rented house arranged and stay? Do I have to register with authorities, take out private health care etc.. (which is what I had to do here and be issued with an "Alien Card") Do I have to prove so much in a bank a/c or proof of income?

My animals are all off to be chipped and anti-rabied next week---I've looked online and as far as I can see for France, I need only wait 30 days, and arrive with healthy animals, Pet passports and a vet cert signed by vet  here.(who has the full registration to issue these--the one I use does a lot of work with the UK Army bases here)

If anyone knows any different, please put me right!

I really appreciate this online help--one day I hope I'll be in the position to others making the big move.

Best wishes to you all,

Pauline

[quote user="cypruslady"]

Can I just arrive in France, with a rented house arranged and stay? Do I have to register with authorities, take out private health care etc.. (which is what I had to do here and be issued with an "Alien Card") Do I have to prove so much in a bank a/c or proof of income?

My animals are all off to be chipped and anti-rabied next week---I've looked online and as far as I can see for France, I need only wait 30 days, and arrive with healthy animals, Pet passports and a vet cert signed by vet  here.(who has the full registration to issue these--the one I use does a lot of work with the UK Army bases here)

If anyone knows any different, please put me right!

I really appreciate this online help--one day I hope I'll be in the position to others making the big move.

Best wishes to you all,

Pauline

[/quote]

Hi Pauline, I am afraid I can't be much help to you with your questions because I am not yet resident in France but I would recommend asking your first question in the Legal section and/or Health section, I believe you would get a better response. In regards to your animals, I would also recommend posting this question in the Pet section, there are some lovely people that post regularly in that section and are currently resident in France and could hopefully help you. 

When we bring our dogs (now dog, we just lost our very much loved Standard Poodle two weeks ago [:'(]) the French authorities have never asked to see the passports it is only the UK side when we return. But perhaps becoming a resident and also coming from Cypress could have other implications that I am not aware of.  Best of luck and hope you get the needed answers to you questions.

I'm sorry to hear you lost your dog, and I hope you are comforted by knowing you gave him/her a happy life.

I visited my vet this morning, and he was able to tell me the regulations for the UK, and those for other EU countries. Cass, Freddie and Ziggy were all anti-rabies jabbed and micro-chipped, they'll have 2nd rabies jab in 3 weeeks and then we'll have the blood test done as for UK--and if I can leave sooner for France, that's great. It would be just my luck that at the last minute there would be some new EU law if we didn't have the blood test done so we're going for the lot!

All animals recovered from their vet visit. It's a long trip through Larnaca in 38C temperatures--thank God for air-conditioned cars.

Best wishes

Pauline

Thank you,  that is our only consolation to be honest he was only eight but very kind words.

Please let us know how you get on and what region you settle in, it all sounds very exciting. Best of luck.

• 1 year later...

Cyprus Lady,

Good morning from Cyprus! I have just joined the French Forum as I want desperately to get the hell out of Cyprus.

I would be very grateful if you could message me as I think we might have a lot of Cypriot experiences to share and I'm sure you could assist me in my move if you have the time!

Thanks,

Dave