Mains Drainage Charge

We bought our house and moved here permanently 10 months ago then immediately had to fork our 2000 Euros for drainage repair and fix up to Mains Drains.  NOw we are being told by our commune that the new Mains Drainage system work has yet to be finished and every house in the village will be asked for a payment (contribution) of around 900 Euros!!  No-one mentioned this when we bought the house and if we pay this what's next... when the road needs re-surfacing (it does need it) - are we going to be asked for a contribution for that aswell, where will it end?

Before I attend a meeting about this I want to have some idea about our rights - has anyone else come across this?

I don't want to come across as a moaner but.....

[quote user="writersblock"]  No-one mentioned this when we bought the house and if we pay this what's next... when the road needs re-surfacing (it does need it) -

are we going to be asked for a contribution for that aswell, Probably

where will it end? Dont know
[/quote]

Calm down, Calm down.

Nothing wrong, just your arrival coincides with the huge project to get france all connected up to a main sewer network.

Take heart from the fact your habitation tax is probably only 25% of what you used to pay in the UK.

Road repair, take heart again! you are not paying road tax.

Now pour a nice glass of wine and a chunk of bread and paté and remember why you made the move. [:D]

[quote user="teapot"]Road repair, take heart again! you are not paying road tax[/quote]Let's dispel this myth shall we. You do pay road tax by virtue of the fact that approximately 20% of your insurance premium goes straight to the Franch government. Yes it's probably less than you'd pay in UK but it's a road tax by another means.

Think yourself lucky not to be in Spain where they not only arbitarily sequester your land and garden for development but then demand you pay towards the infrastucture for it [:-))]

I would rather pay that much to be linked up to mains drainage than have to install a fosse septic system. With all the consequent maintenance, problems etc. Our commune is too widely scattered, can't see it ever happening.

Unless you have just installed a new system and now it's redundant [:@]

Hi!

If the Commune swaps over from "fosse" to main drainage, it is an obligation to connect.

That would be normally at the cost of the new owner, since he is the one who benefits from it. But normally it would have been good policy to inform you, that this was going to be done, because such decisions usually take time.

If the road was redone ( as long as you do not live in a lotissement where the road was furnished by the promoter ), you would not pay directly a penny, but indirectly over the local taxes.

Yours,

giantpanda

[quote user="ErnieY"][quote user="teapot"]Road repair, take heart again! you are not paying road tax[/quote]Let's dispel this myth shall we. You do pay road tax by virtue of the fact that approximately 20% of your insurance premium goes straight to the Franch government. Yes it's probably less than you'd pay in UK but it's a road tax by another means.

Think yourself lucky not to be in Spain where they not only arbitarily sequester your land and garden for development but then demand you pay towards the infrastucture for it [:-))]

[/quote]

Thanks ErnieY, I did not know that but its still not much to pay. Consider the UK where it has to be higher in order that they can afford to have all the people to collect and administer the tax and extra to have all the people chasing those that do not pay. A simple system where the money is used for what it was originally intended sounds good to me.

It is used for what it was originally intended isn't it?

If I were in Spain as you said, I would by an old cannon used to suppress the armada and blow a ruddy great hole in the town hall!

Don't forget that your water charges will likely increase significantly once you are on mains drainage. I'm on a Fosse and my cost per cu/m is about €1.1 but I believe those in the village on mains are paying nearly 3 times that.

I believe also that once mains is available you have to connect to it, it's not a choice, somebody please correct me on this if I'm mistaken.

Thanks everyone for your comments.  I won't get too stressed about this as life here is sooooo much better than UK!!

Just wanted to know where I stood before I put my foot in it!

We were on fosse but previous owners had (illegally) connected us to mains... OH knows the ins and outs, all I know is that it cost 2000 euros to put it right!  Incidentally we were sold our house by deputy mayor who came & informed us that it had to be put right within a couple of weeks of moving in... the same DM who is now asking for more money!!

I'll take the advice and pour another glass of wine.

[quote user="writersblock"]  Incidentally we were sold our house by deputy mayor who came & informed us that it had to be put right within a couple of weeks of moving in... the same DM who is now asking for more money!!
[/quote]

Sounds like "vices cachées" to me[Www]