Tree felling cost

tonyv

I have some 15 40-year-old pine trees around my grounds here, which are seriously overgrown, and present a hazard in many ways, so I decided to have them cut down. This is disappointing. For a start, I've been told that they're useless for firewood (too much tar), but chiefly, I've been quoted 800€ PRE TREE, to cut them down. that makes, erm, a small fortune.

Does anyone know if this price is sensible; 200€ I would have expected, maybe...

We had a few large trees taken down last year and some others pollarded, had several devis given which varied wildly in price and that is putting it mildly. I would highly recommend getting a few people around because it appears to me some people doing this sort of work really try it on here. I don't know the situation or the size of your trees but €12,000 to cut down 15 trees sounds very expensive to me.

If you let conifers dry for a few years they do, in my opinion, make good firewood for smoking meat and fish, bbq'ing and generally sitting around an open fire at night (outside - in which case you don't even need to cut it, just keep feeding the ends of long lengths of wood into the fire).  The longer you leave them the less they spit when burnt.  It can also be excellent for bonfires - should you feel nostalgic for the Guy.

They also make good stumps for cutting other firewood on as well as outdoor seats (although you have to watch the sap doesn't stain your clothing).

And of course dry pine cones are excellent for lighting fires as an alternative to kindling.  As does the bark from conifers (when dry).

If you just stack the wood and  leave it to rot over many years, it provides an excellent habitat for all sorts of insects and small animals. I have also found that children make use of stacks of any sort of wood for cubby holes and secret  hiding places.

We had 18 conifers felled last year, they had been let go and would have been impossible to cut back, they were about 35 feet tall, and we had them removed from the site as we had also been informed that they don't burn well. We paid 1,600 euros  in total.[:D]