geothermic hot water

ams

Got a quote to put in a geothermic hot water tank 300 litres. Cost €3,000.00, Apparently no tax rebate or grants. Has anyone got experience of putting in the system and if any grants, tax rebates etc may be available.

ams

We have geothermic heating, however the pressure in the pipes inside the house is falling and difficult to maintain at the recommended pressure of between 1 and 2. At the HQ of the company they showed us a geothermic cumulus that holds 300 litres. Apparently with a relatively small addition of some pipes outside it can be fitted to our system or perhaps it can stand alone, not quite sure as our french is not quite as it should be. The alternative solar system that they supply costs €8,000 with a rebate attaching of €3,000. I asked about tax rebates  but the person was not certain, since we already had an existing system. It would appear that if we were to have a full geothermic system installed including the hot water tank, then the tax grant would be applicable.

I telephoned the local impots, however they were not able to be of much assistance. They suggested we get the system and submit the paperwork and they would then inform us of their decision at a later date.

Looks like some more digging is necessary.

Hopefully the engineer will turn up soon, as in the next few days.

ams

When you say the pressure in the pipes is dropping do you mean the underfloor or radiator heating circuit, if so you have a leak

Additional water storage will have no effect on pressure whatsoever

Can you be more specific with the detail to see if I can help you

I do install geothermie

Le Plombier

On the boiler if that is the correct word, their are two dials, one relates to the pressure in the outside pipes and the other relates to the pressure in the pipes in the house that are laid under the floor. We have no radiators. The two pressure gages are always between 1 and 2. The problem is with the gage for the pipes inside the house. The pressure gradually drops from 2 to 0.5 over a period of about 5 hours.

When we visited the installers today we told them about the problem and whilst we explained the problem we noticed that they also installed geothermic hot water systems and solar panels.

The engineer is coming on monday morning to look at the system, however we are concerned that the system may be damaged between then and now, should we turn the system off etc.

Any advice will be appreciated.

ams

You have a leak on the heating circuit pipework inside the house

Surface pipework can be visually inspected, underfloor circuits would need to individually pressure tested to establish the faulty circuit

Is there any visible damp on the floors, have you drilled in to or disturbed any floors, how old is the installation, if less than 10 years you may be covered under the original installers decennal insurance provided it is a latent defect and not damage caused by you or any other party

I assume the hot water tank quote is because you do not already have the facility for hot water supply with your present installation

Le plombier

Thanks for the quick response. We have checked the house and found no visible water. All of the internal pipes appear ok. Behind the boiler which is outside the house in swiming pool shed we have found some rusty coloured water. The house is 8 years old and was built by a georthermie company as a show house.

No alteration have ever been made to the house.

Hopefully the problem can be resolved without taking up tiled floors. I will let you know shortly after the engineer comes next monday at 9.00am.

The hot water tank is just a proposal at present, but would appear to make commercial sense.

thanks again

ams

Identify which are the pipes supplying the under floor circuits. Clean and dry the floor where the rusty water is, ditto pipes and connections around the flow and return distributors. Sacrifice as much of a kitchen roll as is necessary to cover the floor where the water was, under and around pipes etc. Inspect after 4 - 6 hours, looking for damp patches, and pray the problem is above ground!

p