Tiling the laundry - DON'T!

Evianers

Just finished tiling our buanderie: oh boy, what a nightmare!

Not only are none of the walls perpendicular or even straight

but the ceiling is like the ocean - wavy! Cutting around light

switches, sockets, in- and outlet pipes for the washing machine

and other sundry extraneous piping has proved time-consuming,

frustrating and enough to make anyone throw a frothy. So our

advice is........... if possible, paint it instead!

I'm laughing thinking about it. Walls in old French cottages are never straight, we tore our hair out trying to install a fitted kitchen and then cutting and sawing and filing to try and make things straight. Mr. Nectarine still has nightmares about trying to fit a corner wall unit ...

You're right, go for the simplest solution!!

[quote user="Evianers"]Just finished tiling our buanderie: oh boy, what a nightmare!
Not only are none of the walls perpendicular or even straight
but the ceiling is like the ocean - wavy! Cutting around light
switches, sockets, in- and outlet pipes for the washing machine
and other sundry extraneous piping has proved time-consuming,
frustrating and enough to make anyone throw a frothy. So our
advice is........... if possible, paint it instead!
[/quote]

As a woman with a house possessing NO perpendicular walls (and quite possibly, none that are straight), not to mention the idiosynchrasies of the ceilings and floors, my heart goes out to you. 

Some day, perhaps we can share a bottle of wine and you will tell me the horrifying details of your adventures in tiling while I regale you with the sad story of our (amazingly expensive) pare-baignoire (AKA Tw's Folly).

Interesting reading everyone's experience and should I venture to say....... happy that everyone agrees....... or not?

If we lived in an ancient old French farmhouse or cottage, then it would all be understandable.

But we don't; we live in a newish villa built in 1992. Don't they possess plumblines here in France?

Hi,

You have all just scared me to death with these tiling tales as we are just about to part tile our kitchen (spashbacks and some half walls !!!!!) No choice really as we need the protection on the back walls and also a way to "hide" some of our grotty walls. Anyone got any neat tips or suggestions to help...................failing that a couple of  bottles of valium might be useful by the sounds of it !!!!!

Have a good christmas everyone and think of us early next year as we attempt the impossible !!!

[quote user="Evianers"]Interesting reading everyone's experience and should I venture to say....... happy that everyone agrees....... or not?

If we lived in an ancient old French farmhouse or cottage, then it would all be understandable.

But we don't; we live in a newish villa built in 1992. Don't they possess plumblines here in France?

[/quote]

Not every Brit has bought an old, wonky house.  Like you we live in a relatively modern house and tiling is easy, I've done loads in our house, no problems!