Frozen pipes! ( lots of views but not many replies folks!)

the wee p

[quote user="the wee p"]What is a Bricodepot?  I can only think of my nearest Leroy Merlin[/quote]

Its a DIY place (a la B&Q) similar to Bricomarche(accent) or Castorama. Each have their benefits and downsides. Google 'Bricodepot' to find out more.

All are conventionally known as 'Brico-sheds'

Ok got that, but................

[:-))]

Just went to run a bath and i can tell there freezing up again the waters coming out much slower than usual, so would it be worth me leaving the kitchen or bathroom tap on at a trickle over night, would this stop them freezing up again if the waters flowing, until i get to a bricodepot in the morning?

[quote user="the wee p"]

We currently rent out house and have had no hot or cold water today, im assuming the pipes are frozen,[/quote]

We rent our home, bizarrely enough not far from Vannes, and our garage too is literally freezing - 1°C as I speak, and the copper pipes have no insulation ... But, when we had a plumbing leak in said garage - not our fault - in the summer, I phoned our landlady and she said to phone a plumber - she didn't have one she used, even with the 5+ houses she rents out, get the problem fixed and tell the plumbing company to send the bill to her. Which is exactly what we did ...

Sue

Sorry I am not in a position to help you,  I suspect the pipes may have gone last night and were only partially thawed. If you are in rental property then landlord should be rectifying rather than you unless you have the French equivalent of a repairing lease. Who insures the building (As distinct from contents) you or the landlord?

Water needs to be switched off in the street or you are likely to have an indoor skating rink tommorrow unless the burst is above the internal stopcock in which case the internal will suffice.

Make sure you note contents of boxes for Insurance claim, it may be that as pipes were not insulated there is a liability issue with the landlord but most folks won't pick a quarrel with their landlord I guess.

[quote user="the wee p"]

Im sure i read in our tenancy agreement from the immobilier that i have to contact them who will contact the owner to ok any work etc to be done so i will email them tonight.[/quote]

Perhaps also ringing the agents in the morning would be a good idea; as lack of water supply is considered a special case - even an emergency.

When we had our plumbing problem, and had to turn off our water supply, all 3 of our neighbours said please use our shower/loo/water etc etc as neighbours do in France; but also they all said we must cry/plead/insist how urgent our problem was - as, apparently, all French people would do in such circumstances.

Bon courage.

Sue