Woodburners

French Frank

We would like to install a woodburner and would be grateful if anyone can answer the following:-

Are they cheaper to buy in France than in UK

Is there any particular building regulations to be aware of.

Can anyone recommend a supplier near Confolens particularly someone who can install the woodburner/stovepipe etc.

French Frank

Hi Frank, I think they are cheaper in the UK but depends on what you are buying of course.

Yes there are strict regulations as there are in the UK

If you buy one in France and have it installed you may get a rebate which may make it not worth buying in the UK, depending if you are going to install yourself.

This link may help

http://www.poujoulat.fr/pro_produits_carac_tech.asp?idproduit=4

Also try search on this forum there is a lot of info available.

Weldoms supply and fit; they have a shop near Intermarché. Not sure about comparison costs but I think it's best to use a local supplier/installer just in case there are problems.

If you are fiscally resident in France, there are tax credits available (up to 50%) on models bearing the flamme vert label (no tax credits for the installation though), but to qualify you have to have the stove supplied and installed by a company.

Edit: Snap, teapot!

Yes, you may be right, but I don't ever go to England so don't know. I am a bit surprised they don't seem to give the efficiency figures (I may have missed them) and that they dont seem to have pierre olaire as an option as it improves heat retention very much. What are the prices like, say for the 400?

They don't come cheap Wooly,

I think the 400 is around £1100 but don't quote me, I will pick up a new catalogue next week. They are very efficient and very cleanburning, can be used in the tightest of smokeless areas and achieve it without a catalytic converter.

Pierre olaire? is that a brick lining, don't laugh if it isn't [;-)]

No, it is a marble looking stone that goes on the outside and has heat retaining qualities. Have a look at   http://www.jotul.com/fr/wwwjotulfr/Main-Menu/Les-Produits/

There are other makes like Scan (which is what I have ordered.) They all give 75% plus efficiency, mine 78%.

Scandinavian ones here start at about €2500 but that is then reduced by the 40% tax rebate.

There is not much coal burnt outside Northern France, is there, so the wood efficiency and new pollution standard is what to look for if ordering here.

Don't worry French Frank, us and millions of others are extremely happy with our excellent French woodburners. Yes, Jotuls are brilliant but very expensive ( and I'm sure Clearview are good also, but why buy from the UK when there are excellent woodstoves here?)

We had a Supra Selestat at our old house, and were so impressed that we've just installed a similar model here near the mountains (see www.supra.fr). Our other stove at our previous house was a huge turbo Deville, which also worked extremely efficiently.

Bonne chance.