woodburner advice please

kimg

Hi Kim,

If you use one of the Brico stores ask if they have the inclusive service. Most will have some of the woodburners that carry a tax rebate if you have them installed by a professional. We bought ours through such a place on recomendation. The installer collected it and then spent three hours or so installing it with a colleague, including fitting a chimney liner. The price was around €1600 for the lot. I recommended the same place to a friend and lent him our catalogue. (We had a Godin fitted). When he went to see them, they didn't have any Godin on display and he thought they didn't supply them anymore. He didn't see anything else he liked. He then went to a store in our local town and ordered one from them. As it happens, it was the same model as ours. He was initially charged almost €4000, but got it reduced to €3500.

Hope this helps, regards Paul

[quote user="kimg"]

i wouldnt get a rebate as its a maison seconde

[/quote]

A chimneyless friend of ours had a small freestanding poêle, installed by a stove company, complete with a flue from the ground floor, through the first floor and on through a new opening in the roof, for approx 3300 euros - but this was 2 years ago.

Sue

Take a long hard look at the Jotuls - not always the prettiest but very efficient.

I have 3 wood burners and the Jotul is by far the best. The others are a Supra and a Godin.

Plus with a large flat top you can cook on the Jotul.

... and the Jotul only cost 100 euros from a vide grenier.

Do not buy a wood burner that is too large as they should not work under capacity. Better get one that is adapted to the size of the space to be heated.  Remember too that great big logs burn less efficiently than smaller ones so there is no need to go for the widest possible burning space. Many burners are not designed to keep in over night, particularly Supra and Godin, though they may do so.

[quote user="woolybanana"]Do not buy a wood burner that is too large as they should not work under capacity. Better get one that is adapted to the size of the space to be heated.  Remember too that great big logs burn less efficiently than smaller ones so there is no need to go for the widest possible burning space. Many burners are not designed to keep in over night, particularly Supra and Godin, though they may do so.[/quote]

Good advice - it is better to have a smaller woodburner running efficiently.

Length is important - means logs don't have to be chopped so small.

Plus smaller one likely to have smaller flue and save a few euros.

Plus don't forget you gotta have air!

[quote user="kimg"]ive bought a bungalow so i need it to compliment the electric heating in the lounge

kim
[/quote]

You shouldn't need the leccy much I heat 120 sq meters house with two wood stoves no other heating 'cept a towel rail. It is well insulated though.

I have electric central heating and have never used it - annoying as it puts up tax de habitation - may take it out.