Wiring replacement tableau

CeeJay

My tableau is fairly old and has no Interrupteur Differential and the circuits are protected by fusibles so I would like to replace it with a modern mcb type. Looking at the tails coming in from the EDF box it could be that they might not be long enough to fit into the new tableau where I would like to position it, is it in order to use dominoes to extend these tails. Additionally if my circuit wires are also not long enough can I extend by dominoes rather than have to rewire back along the circuit?

The EDF box has a panel you can remove so that you can change the tails for the sake of a few Euros I would simply buy and install longer tails. Provided the dominoes are inside a junction box or other second layer of electrical insulation yes. I would consider using bourne de connection rather than doiminoes if space is tight.

You should replace the incoming power cable, that is, the cable between EDF's disjoncteur and the new tableau.

But you cannot extend the circuit cables in the manner you suggest, they need to be replaced in full between tableau and each boite de derivation or final destination.

[quote user="tj"]You should replace the incoming power cable, that is, the cable between EDF's disjoncteur and the new tableau.

But you cannot extend the circuit cables in the manner you suggest, they need to be replaced in full between tableau and each boite de derivation or final destination.
[/quote]

So by your logic he can in fact extend the circuit wires if he uses dominos in a boite de derivation.

When I was doing my first Consuel wiring I kept a watching eye on a couple of retired French electricians (not the word that I would choose for them) who were working on the black doing a gite for a Brit.

I was intrigued how few gaines came back to the tableau which was completely undersized for the building, when I traced them I found that they had spurred off by making "Y branch" joints in the gaine using insulation tape, and further on yet more of these weird joints that would all be covered once the placo was put up. Intrigued I checked to see how many cores entered the tableau from the gaine that fed the two Y's thinking they had run 3 circuits in the one gaine.

There was only the phase neutre and terre so I cut open one of the Y joints to find that the cables were joined to the two other circuits by being twisted together and then insulation taped, not even soldered (although that would still be an unforgiveable bodge). These guys were charging the Pigeon client well over the going rate as well.

I told the Consuel inspector of ths, he said it was par for the course in the area and hazarded a guess at the names of the pair, he was spot on, he then told me that they had never actually been electricians during their working life although one allegedly claimed to have worked as a plumber.