Guarantee against work performed ?

Nick

Hi,

I need some plumbing work performed from a local plumber. Is there any guarantee I should ask for either at the devis stage, or upon completion, against the standard of his work? By having a valid SIRET number, (for plumbing) does this protect the vendor from bad workmanship?

Thank you

There is no real guarantee of quality - certainly not because someone has a SIRET no.

If work is defective or poor quality and the artisan won't put it right, it is possible to call on the services of an independent "expert". This could be costly though and not make for good future relations with a local plumber.

The best guarantee is personal recommendation really and maybe to see examples of previous work.

Danny

Ask him for a copy of his assurance décennale - 10-year guarantee - when you are given his devis or, at least, before you sign a devis. Just because he has décennal insurance doesn't make him a great plumber... it doesn't even guarantee you'll be compensated if things go wrong over the next 10 years... but it does at least confirm the guy is correctly registered and a serious artisan as he wouldn't bother with such expensive insurance otherwise.

Guarentees are worthless.

You should only employ people on recommendations or references, even then thats no 100% guarentee. Having a Siret number has absolutely nothing to do with his ability, registering is easy, there are more bad ones than good. Especially if he is not english, since europe thrives on the most abysmal customer service and absence of any sense of 'doing a job well'.

tj   -

"....there are more bad ones than good. Especially if he is not english, since europe thrives on the most abysmal customer service and absence of any sense of 'doing a job well'.

Please tell me that observation was tongue in cheek. I have had experience of 3 plumbers (including firms - not one man bands) in the UK and of 2 plumbers (4 occasions) in France in the last 5 years or so.

My small survey suggests the English ones (all Corgi) were wasters who couldn't get the job done properly and I needed to finish them off myself. My gas connection didn't leak - his did!

In France however, the quality and attention to detail has been spot on.

This is only my own experience of course.

You will be glad that you didn't have the plumber that we had first time we had our boier serviced NR. This idiot checked to see if there were any gas leak with a LIGHTER! I was stood behind him when he did it, but not for long. This was no one man band either and when we complained to the main office they just shrugged. Then a good friend suggested the same bunch to supply and fit our new boiler. The boss man arrived and when we asked about checking for leaks he too said he used a lighter. I think that you may just guess that he didn't get the job!

We see there vans all over Carcassonne on big refurb jobs and have a little laugh to ourselves? (Or should that be cry?)

That is how my late father (who was not a plumber) checked for gas leaks, if you have a good nose and know what you are doing there is no risk of explosion, if the gas/air ratio is anywhere near the combustion point you would know all about it and the plumber would be opening he windows and evacuating the house not searching for his lighter.

I remember when my father worked nights and my mother having smelt gas panicked and phoned him, there was a faint smell of gas in the understair cupboard but he could not find it without his matches, once he found it he simply left it alight and returned to his work, he made the joint secure the next day.

I was quite impressed with his logic, burn the gas so there is no smell, my mother was not so impressed and could not sleep that night.

He clearly missed his vocation.

Also how my ex dad in law checked for leaks... He was a very experienced and skilled industrial gas fitter and I got very nervous when I saw him do it...

I have no idea really but I can only assume that it is safe to do so. As as amateur DIYer, I would still be happier with the washing up liquid bubble test.

Danny

I don't give 2 monkeys! Anyone who does that in my house once does not do it twice! A good friend, who is also a very experienced plumber and Corgie certified, was horrified by that stupid action!

If anyone has a different opinion to this then we will have to agree to differ and they will not be asked to do any gas fitting in anything that I have anything to do with.

End of story for me...