underfloor heating

mark and sue

[quote user="mark and sue 71"]

can anyone recommend a company that can supply water underfloor heating

our house is in 71 burgundy

many thanks mark and sue

[/quote]

Hi

Can you describe how you intend to power the underfloor system.... would you consider a solar powered system for example. There are many option to choose from, I'm just looking for some clues so that I can give you some pointers.

Andrew

[quote user="mark and sue 71"]

hi andrew

it will be powered by  a gas boiler, solar to expensive

[/quote]

Seems strange to me as gas is (unless its Town gas) the most expensive fuel at the moment. Can I as what do you know about the use of solar for this application, as compared to gas I cannot see how it can be regarded as too expensive.

Regards

Andrew

Even with solar you'd still need a back up source and for me mains gas would win hands down, solar's are great for hot water but we've found during the winter don't provide sufficient heat to heat a well insulated 80m2 underfloor system. Our system is now about 5 years old. We're now into our second renovation project 288m2 and even though we're going underfloor for the downstairs we're definitely not going solar.

[quote user="Me0wp00"]Even with solar you'd still need a back up source and for me mains gas would win hands down, solar's are great for hot water but we've found during the winter don't provide sufficient heat to heat a well insulated 80m2 underfloor system. Our system is now about 5 years old. We're now into our second renovation project 288m2 and even though we're going underfloor for the downstairs we're definitely not going solar.
[/quote]

I am surprised that you have such negative views on the efficacy of benefiting from your share of the free energy available to us all. Could you tell me how many tubes you have on the roof and how big your accumulator is and most important where in France is your installation. It is sure though that no matter how large is your system that a backup of some sort is necessary for a few weeks of the year.

I have been getting good temps in the 30°'s  right throughout Jan and Feb which is ample for UF use, our radiators do need a bit of help but at this stage Feb it seems that they run well on the energy we've stored. I am in Dept 17 though and enjoy a high sunshine index.

Andrew

Poolguy tried mailing you via your site last week but the mail kept bouncing.

Very quick questions and almost on topic so if I may?

200 year old stone building cave going to be sitting room floors arranged over 6 different levels (Not 6 storey it's the usual neigbouring buildings floor levels different but knocked though into one)

South Normandy / North Loire

180sqm hab surface for now more later.

Roofs facing  N S E W

I am about to start replacing tiled on earth floors and need a thin as possible floor make up to try to retain headroom (Particularly in doorways Sept Dwafs spring to mind)

Is it a goer do you think on the evac tube method and underfloor or radiant panel backed up with solid fuel and running to thermal store? I was thinking solar / electric for water heating for simplicities sake.

I am moving the family over next spring to live and need an economic and sensible system solar is not my strong suit albeit a chum is Worcester Bosch trained I think local knowledge is likely invaluable from a Regs Point of view.

[quote user="BIG MAC"]

need a thin as possible floor make up to try to retain headroom (Particularly in doorways Sept Dwafs spring to mind)

[/quote]

Ditto, which leads me to conclude that UF is a non starter as I believe that 'thin as possible floor' does not match the requirements of a UF system.

[quote user="BIG MAC"]

Poolguy tried mailing you via your site last week but the mail kept bouncing.

Very quick questions and almost on topic so if I may?

200 year old stone building cave going to be sitting rYes Definately a goeroom floors arranged over 6 different levels (Not 6 storey it's the usual neigbouring buildings floor levels different but knocked though into one)

South Normandy / North Loire

180sqm hab surface for now more later.

Roofs facing  N S E W

I am about to start replacing tiled on earth floors and need a thin as possible floor make up to try to retain headroom (Particularly in doorways Sept Dwafs spring to mind)

Is it a goer do you think on the evac tube method and underfloor or radiant panel backed up with solid fuel and running to thermal store? I was thinking solar / electric for water heating for simplicities sake.

I am moving the family over next spring to live and need an economic and sensible system solar is not my strong suit albeit a chum is Worcester Bosch trained I think local knowledge is likely invaluable from a Regs Point of view.

[/quote]

Yes Definately a goer

I've sent you an email, if you cannot get hold of me perhaps send a PM with your phone number and I'll call.

Andrew

My understanding is that underfloor heating requires a minimum floor thickness of 120mm (50mm insulation plus 70mm screed on top).

Fortunately I have the headroom (3m) so I'm going ahead with ours.  Not solar though, initial installation too expensive and you can't get tubes which are disguised as canal tiles!

Yes the initial installation is expensive,but we took  future - proofing into the equation as well.

We had underfloor heating installed as it was a complete renovation and that is the time to do if at all possible.When last at the house I interrogated the system via the control box and found that the solar panels were giving 55 deg C to the heating system.Not bad considering the underfloor supply temp was 30 deg C, (against 70 deg C for rads) to give a nice comfortable temperature inside,whilst the outside temp was +1 deg C and fairly sunny,but quite chilly!!

Now my only problem is to get the plombier back to sort out why the U/F control works in a reverse sense!!!!!!!!

Guess we have a couple of crossed wires somewhere in the Temp sensing part of the U/F system,as the rads work as advertised.

Difficult to sort these sorts of things when you're not there full time,sigh.

Johnnyboy.