Large Format Wall Tiles

Glyn

Having bought some large wall tiles (400mm x 300mm) I am beginning to wonder if I have done the right thing.

I have been reading that you must consider the weight per m2 of the tiles/adhesive together with the surface material of the wall to be tiled.

The house is approximately 30 years old and the walls to be tiled are plastered (original I would have thought). The plaster seems to be sound, no blown areas, but I have heard that plaster is not the best base for large tiles.

I have primed the walls with one coat of Buildfix Primaire d'Accrochage (not sure if I should put another coat on as I did not seem to use as much as it said on the container) and will be using Buildfix Grand Carreaux powdered adhesive.

Does anyone have any advice or recommendations?

Thanks,

Glyn

Large format tiles are very popular nowadays. I dont know what the regs are in France but the British Standards state the safe weight limit on plaster is 20ks per sq mtr so one assumes that a similar figure would be appropriate anywhere else. Cement and cement based products react adversely with plaster and so the plaster should be primed with a tilers primer, not PVA. If the walls have a shiny finish you should roughen them up a little to provide a key. A sander would do the job. What type of tile are they? Different tile types need different adhesives, trowels and applications. Let me know me if you want any more information.