Wiring Norms in France

jo

For many years I was used to wiring in the UK single strand copper insulated and secondly insulated in groups phase,neutral and earth.I then became very used to  the Spanish system ,multi-strand wire single insulation but enclosed in groups in plastic conduit ,flexible or ridgid. I now find myself facing wiring in France which appears to be a combination of the two. Can anyone tell me when cable or conduit is appropriate or is it a matter of expediency or operator choice. Also light switch points appear higher above the ground than in Spain ,is this a rule or local custom? Finally, are there new rules in France about socket heights from floor?

hi Jo

I'm not an electrician, but am aware of an excellent book which will answer these and many more of your questions.  This is Amozon France link and I have seen it available in Leroy Merlin.
http://www.amazon.fr/Linstallation-%C3%A9lectrique-Thierry-Gallauziaux/dp/2212114311/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235384964&sr=1-1

This has been recommended many times via this and other forums and have to say even I was able to understand it and the drawings and start the rewiring process.[:)]

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, thanks for the hint, was going to order it from Amazon, but wandering around Castorama this afternoon, found and purchased it there. Himself is now busy complete with dictionary. !