Bricolage

Daley

I am totally shocked at the prices in French shops, DIY in particular.  I am not even taking into consideration the fall in Sterling against the Euro.  What is the secret of getting materials at a reasonable price, am I missing something here?  I am considering asking the in-laws to bring items with them from the UK or travelling over the border to Germany.  How do the French afford to shop in Bricorama etc?

Thanks

Dale

Try a Brico Depot (I think thats the correct name).  The prices don't seem to be as bad as some of the other DIY stores: Mr Bricolage for example. Keep an eye out for the special offers. Some of the stuff is lowish quality but there are some bargains.

I would agree prices do seem expensive in France. For example, I managed to pick up 150 sheets of 50mm high quality insulation for £15 a sheet in the UK, the best price I could get on the equivalent insulation in France was 45 euro a sheet. Round that  to a 150 x 30 euro discount and its a big saving buying in the UK.

Discounts are obtainable from local merchants usually.

It's not they are mega dear they are differently structured.

It's a bit like shopping at Marks and Sparks  or ASDA

M&S equivalent are the twee Bricos who concentrate on tiles lighting and decorations with a bit of gardening chucked in.

Leroy Merlin are I guess more atthe ASDA end does what it should at reasonable cost

Local merchants are like some independent merchants here.. prepared to haggle.

I went into our locally for a load of roofing materials to be priced (Took a list as my French isn't good) asked the guy to price my list then I wrote alongside what I thought was a fair price...Much laughing and mangled French / Franglais later we shook hands. Any time I go in there I seem to get fair prices (Not as cheap as Leroys a lot of the time) but fair because the merchants is ten minutes from my house and will drop stuff in whereas Leroys is about an hour and a half away.

You pays your money etc........