Help - Not insured??

Andy

[quote user="Will"]Ernie - have you thought where they would stick the poles?[/quote]That's the big problem Will, I have an Imperial annulus but all the poles I've seen in France are Metric, looks like if I want to go to work I'm gonna get either screwed or reamed..............[:-))]

[quote user="ErnieY"][quote user="Will"]Ernie - have you thought where they would stick the poles?[/quote]That's the big problem Will, I have an Imperial annulus but all the poles I've seen in France are Metric, looks like if I want to go to work I'm gonna get either screwed or reamed..............[:-))][/quote]And do you do it up or down, Ernie?

To get back to the OP point about shutters, our insurance specifically says that we have to have shutters on all windows less than 3m from the ground and that they must be closed whilst the house is unoccupied. There was also certain conditions re locks so I photographed them alla nd sent pictures to the insurers asking them to let me know if they did not consider these adequate. Did that in the same letter which enclosed the premium so they could not say they did not have it! The agents replied to say they had no problem.

I generally keep the shutters closed most of the time in the summer anyway as it keeps the house relatively cool.

Andy

We have no shutters on our maison secondaire. This summer we double checked and found our French combined / building policy covers us for contents insurance for up to value of 30,000 Euros. If we wanted higher cover we would need to fit shutters.

Jayne.

Our insurance company also require shutters on all windows or doors. We are having an extension and it is impossible to have shutters fitted for the new windows that are being made for the current openings. The insurance company has required that we have anti-breakable/burglar proof glass fitted. Class 5 here in France. It is quite expensive so would have liked to have known about the insurance company that didn't require this. [:(]

Having said that, I guess it will make us feel a little more secure when we are in the UK.

[quote user="WJT"]

it is impossible to have shutters fitted for the new windows that are being made for the current openings. [/quote]

Why impossible, WJT?  Just interested because I thought this with our lucarnes but we've got around it.

Our insurance company also needed shutters but the house looks better with them anyway so we were happy to comply, as it happened.

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="WJT"]

it is impossible to have shutters fitted for the new windows that are being made for the current openings. [/quote]

Why impossible, WJT?  Just interested because I thought this with our lucarnes but we've got around it.

Our insurance company also needed shutters but the house looks better with them anyway so we were happy to comply, as it happened.

[/quote]

It is hard to describe Cooperlola but it is an existing small building (bread oven) that has two large openings about 3.5 meters wide and about 2 meters tall for both, one above the other, I guess like a large barn opening. So it is impossible because there is no space between. We have connected this to our house so it would need to be made secure for insurance purposes as well as our own security of course.

I do know what you mean because we also have lucarnes (I wish! Ours are really just dormers [:)])on our house and the shutters are fitted where they open against the inside of the exterior wall, if that makes sense.

About chimney sweeping, my house burned to the ground in 2001 (three little walls were all that remained) and although the insurers asked whether we had the certificate (which we did) it could not be produced as it had burned along with everything else! No problems with reimbursement and the house was rebuilt.