How much should labour be for a 6mt sqmt bathroom ?

Danglar

Hello fellow forum members !

I wish  to renovate my bathroom : 3.73 x 1.70 mt.

This would  principally involve  changing the bath tab, retiling the floor and  walls at mid height, fitting a new wash basin and taps, fitting spot lights.

Got a couple of quotes from a  siret registered french local artisan : £5000.00  or £ 6300 if   I opt  for a  shower to be built.

For the size of the room and the fact that there would not be a need to replumb I think such quotes are on the steep side , don't you ?

I even had to ask him to adjust the Tva which he had quoted initially at 19.6%  ! But what I  find  questiobale is that with  materials cost well below euro 1000 there is a labour charge of  3500 + vat.

Also on checking this guy's siret it transpires the siret is only for electrical work (!). He also  keeps mentioning  that he is insured  at or by the local chamber of commerce and that therefore his work comes with a guarantee of 10 years.

Mmmmh. What do you think ??

What is the ongoing rebuilding rate for sq met that I can use as a reference guide?

Regards

Speaking only on the tile front, at most, depending on tile size and complexity of the walls (how many corners etc etc) I would charge 20-25 Euro psm inclusive of materials. Try getting individual trade quotes, it's harder to hike costs up if individualised tasks.

Where are you based ?

Good Luck

[quote user="Danglar"]But what I  find  questiobale is that with  materials cost well below euro 1000 there is a labour charge of  3500 + vat.
. What do you think ??

What is the ongoing rebuilding rate for sq met that I can use as a reference guide?

Regards

[/quote]

There is absolutely no correlation between materials cost and labour, if it were so would you expect the labour to double if you chose tiles at €10 instead of €5 per m2 ?

The rebuiding rate is intended for complete houses not renovation of bathrooms which in any case are the most expensive area to renovate.

Get some other quotes to decide if he is expensive or not.

In 17 we converted the end of a corridor to a 2.0m x 2.0m shower room / WC last year. The supply pipe runs were 30m long and insulated all the way. The firm supplied and installed a WC, basin, and cabin de douche at first floor level. At the ground floor they connected the first floor new WC waste to the ground floor with a 110mm pipe. They then renewed the ground floor WC pan and installed a tiny wash hand basin too. All supply and waste pipes were suppled and fitted. Cost €3200 + €500 for a wobbly cabin. - 5.5% TVA inc.

I built the partitions myself and will (one day) tile the walls and floor too.

I decided to pay for what would take me forever and test my plumbing skills to the limit. But I'm happy as Larry with partitions, tiling and electrics.

Do I think your quote is expensive? Probably yes .

I would definitely get a couple of quotes to make a comparison.

I would now always check up with the Chambre de Metiers when employing someone, unless I have seen his work and he comes well recommended.

If the local artisan is only registered as an electrician, you may not have any comeback should you have problems with anything else later on. I'm not sure that the Chamber of Commerce has any relevance with what i would have thought were "metiers".

[quote user="Danglar"]
Also on checking this guy's siret it transpires the siret is only for electrical work (!). He also  keeps mentioning  that he is insured  at or by the local chamber of commerce and that therefore his work comes with a guarantee of 10 years.
[/quote]

The Chambre de Commerce don't do insurance. Ask to see his insurance certificate.

How did you check his SIRET? The onlline sites are innacurate and only list one activity. Ask to see his registration papers.

Also, the Chambre de Commerce DO NOT do electricians!

Get more devis.