Emulsion - where to get it?

Kitty

[quote user="Quillan"]

I know a guy who swears by Wicks shutter paint. He brings it over every year to do his shutters because its cheap! Me I spend more but do it every 8 years. I'm lazy so the longer I can go without painting the better.

[/quote]

Wickes paint is made by Johnstones. of Johnstones and Leyland fame.

[quote user="teapot"][quote user="Quillan"]

I know a guy who swears by Wicks shutter paint. He brings it over every year to do his shutters because its cheap! Me I spend more but do it every 8 years. I'm lazy so the longer I can go without painting the better.

[/quote]

Wickes paint is made by Johnstones. of Johnstones and Leyland fame.

[/quote]

Well UK paint must be different to French paint then with regards to the UV protection because he obviously feels the need to repaint them every year.

• 2 weeks later...

For interior paint I have had several deliveries from http://www.tradepaints.eu/ i.e. Dulux white matt emulsion 6lt £11.99 inc VAT.  Delivery for up to 25lt paint is about £25.00.  I ordered zissner primers and some other obscure things I just could not find in France. I have shoulder problems and cannot do sanding down to provide a key etc so have to use different primers and paint that does not need 4 coats!!.  Delivery is usually in 2-3 days.  Price list here http://www.tradepaints.eu/offers.htm.  Excellent customer service and knowledgeable staff if you are not sure what you need for a particular job.   I have no link with the company except as a satisfied customer so hope this post is ok.

For exterior shutters I have used Tollens self undercoating satin mixed to colour at Castorama, expensive but thinned with white spirit for the first coat actually goes a long way and saves on undercoat/primer. A friend who has lived here for years advised me to try it.

I used Bondex on the windows and am really impressed with it.  I used Leroy merlin floor varnish and am also very pleased with that.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
We bought some of the Dulux Valentine paint from Mr Bric yesterday, and were a bit surprised to find that the large plastic oblong tin was only half full (though it did contain the promised 2.5 litres of paint). Possibly this is to make it easier to use a roller straight from the tin.

But when using it we found that the large amount of air space in the tin had let annoying quantities of the paint set hard, so it couldn't all be used and was distinctly lumpy on the brush.

Apart from that the coverage was good, and colour - white! - OK. But even on special offer, as it was, it was quite expensive: €34 reduced to €29.90 for 2.5 litres. The Corona acrilique on the next shelf - which I am now kicking myself for NOT buying - was (I think) €43 for 5 litres.

Renaulac from Brico Depot seems to be very good. I have used the monocouche for ceilings on a small area and was very impressed with the coverage. I have just had some mixed for me to make a creamy colour I chose from the many examples available the other day.

I haven't used it yet but hope that it is as good as the one coat emulsion was. It seems to be very well priced compared to the other brands that are quite watery in comparison to me. I have heard that this is what many of the painters use themselves.