Buying roof felt in France

Meduse

Can anyone tell me how easy/cheap it is to buy roof felt in France. Our roof felt needs replacing and our tiles are not fixed, so everytime we have heavy snow which lays, it pushes the tiles down the roof, creating leaks. We can't afford to get a whole new roof with new tiles. If we replace the felt and try to fix the tiles somehow, it may work!

Is roof felt much more expensive in France than in UK? We are considering buying it here, but them we have to hire a trailer and pay more getting there... Any suggestions?

If we buy our felt in France, can we buy it anc take it away there and then?

Thanks in advance.

Meduse

Do they use it in France, is it even available ?

I've not seen it in the builders merchants or brico sheds, although admittedly I've not specifically looked for it, and just about every roof I've seen close up hasn't had any, just tiles. Even my relatively modern early 70's house has none.

Big job to de-tile, lay felt, and retile but why are your tiles moving, properly laid they shouldn't. Traditionally they are not fixed with nails but rely on the interlocking, only the edge tiles would be nailed. I think perhaps you need to identify the actual problem rather than addressing the symptoms.

I haven't seen any roofing felt like the British stuff, heavy, tarred-like, fairly brittle rolls, but we've had two roofs re-done here and in both cases the builder put a membrane on before re-laying the tiles. He called it "anti-neige bache", so it sounds as though it's meant to keep the snow out! We don't get much of that here! Anyway, it appears that it's a breathable material. I wouldn't bring British materials for use here; I don't think they'd be up to the extremes of temperature. I'd use what the locals use! All our other roofs, on the outbuildings etc, are the usual wooden beams with chevrons and then a boarded top layer of poplar. The tiles, which are the canal type (no lugs) are laid on top. Only the top and bottom of the run are secured with dollops of "colle" which is just like the usual lime mortar mix. "Renocal" can be used for fixing tiles. Ask at the local builders yard, they'll be able to tell you what is used locally. You don't say where you are.

I have also just re-roofed an large outbuilding (110 sq metres) and I can tell you that it IS a BIG job! Nearly 3000 tiles to be brought down and cleaned and then taken back up again after the supports were replaced! I still haven't finished the whole job and I started in OCTOBER!!!!!!!

Sid