Scrap metal to dispose of

cassie

Have just bought house near Fougeres (dept 35,  E,Brittany)  and have lots of scrap metal to dispose of...too big to get in car and take to dechetterie, eg.  autoporteur, bed frames, fridge, caravan!etc.

Does anyone know of a" scrap metal dealer" who will be happy to take this away for me?

Dennis

Our farmer neighbour has recently cleared some derelict sheds and their contents from a field he has acquired opposite our house. He had a lot of old metal to dispose of, and the local ferrailleur came, equipped with a lorry with a crane, and took the whole lot away. I don't think our neighbour was paid very much for the metal - the scrap metal market is not very good at present - but I would think you are more interested in getting rid of the stuff.

As nobody here seems able to help directly, your mairie should be able to give you details of a ferraileur near you, or you could try the pages jaunes

Every now and then some shifty-looking types come round with a battered old pickup, asking or scrap. When scrap prices were high, they would pay out approx 30€ per truckload, but they give nothing now. Last time they came round (prices were still pretty high) I got them to take away several loads and didnt ask for payment, on the condition they took a load of other rubbish away for me too. They also paid me a very good price for an old UK-spec 106 diesel that was roof-heigh in nettles at the bottom of the garden.

Since prices have tumbled so dramatically, I havent seen them for several months.

[quote user="dennis"]Have just bought house near Fougeres (dept 35,  E,Brittany)  and have lots of scrap metal to dispose of...Dennis[/quote]

I'm sorry that my post will not help you! but why oh why did you not put a clause in the contract that the owner was to remove all the rubbish! we did after having a good look round before we signed the first contract, he wanted the sale so agreed and ended up using 10 lorry loads, one large bonfire and 6 blokes!

[quote user="Jacqui Too "]

[quote user="dennis"]Have just bought house near Fougeres (dept 35,  E,Brittany)  and have lots of scrap metal to dispose of...Dennis[/quote]

I'm sorry that my post will not help you! but why oh why did you not put a clause in the contract that the owner was to remove all the rubbish! we did after having a good look round before we signed the first contract, he wanted the sale so agreed and ended up using 10 lorry loads, one large bonfire and 6 blokes!

[/quote]

Isn't a standard clause that the house and buildings must be empty?  We have heard on here where the previous owners have taken this to the Nth degree, removing doors, lighting cables, fixed fires, plugs etc  etc.  The OP should have a look  at their contract or ask the Notaire, they may well be able to make the seller get this stuff removed at his cost.

As I understood it you could buy two ways, either:

Agree that they remove all the rubbish, old furniture etc from the property,   ( and risk losing the doorknobs!! ) or...

Agree that it all should be left ( useful if there's some interesting bits in sheds! ) for you to clear, usually reflected in the price.

• 2 weeks later...