Screed thickness?

Richardk

We need to 'fill' a void of c. 3.5cm in height which currently has a concrete base. Upon looking round at forum posts relating to screed thickness people always say minimum 5cm. Further conversations and reading has 'led me to believe that there are two types of screed jobs  -  bonded and unbonded. Whilst the latter should have 5cm's or so, the former can I believe be much less - even just a couple of cm's for example.

Can anyone verify this?

Light the blue touch paper and withdraw. 3.5 cms is too thick for a self leveling screed and too thin from a coat of concrete. What are you planning on putting on top ?. If you are tiling on top suggest wet 3 to 1 mix with glass fibre added and leave at least two weeks to go off.

[quote user="Anton Redman"]Light the blue touch paper and withdraw. 3.5 cms is too thick for a self leveling screed and too thin from a coat of concrete. What are you planning on putting on top ?. If you are tiling on top suggest wet 3 to 1 mix with glass fibre added and leave at least two weeks to go off.[/quote]

Falls nicely into the Ardex spec or epoxy repair bracket ....

Anybody got any names for floor screed in France ?

In UK, years ago admittedly, I levelled a kitchen floor with Febflor

and I'd like to chuck something similar on my garage floor which is

concrete with a screed but damaged in places, ultimately it will be

painted with proper heavy duty floor paint.

Sorry to elbow my way into someone else's thread, but I've a similar problem but with an external concrete slab.

It's on top of a large old rainwater cistern, and directly outside the front door of our barn conversion. The slab is a good six inches thick with colossal (inch thick) reinforcing rods in it. It's about 6 meters long by about 3 meters wide. Sorry about the metric/imperial mix!

We'd like to tile it, but it isn't level, and it's also quite important that any rainwater on it should drain away from the door rather than into it. It isn't just that at present it has a slope on it: it undulates quite a lot. Rainwater forms quite a nice pool in the middle. So we can't increase the height of the highest points by more than about half an inch (if the tiles are not to be higher than the doorstep), while the lowest points need about two inches (maybe a bit less) to bring them up to the base of the tiles.

Is there a product that will work outside on concrete to level it off and let us tile on top?

Dunno about availability of scabblers in France however if grinding high sots required then a multi head scabbler is the tool for the job.

Epoxy screeds will not like being laid to falls but can be laid to a minimal thickness.

I would suggest epoxy screed to level the slab then set up string lines to establish falls and bed the tiles on conventional outdoor mix adhesive to include the desired fall.

I have no idea about availability in France but I have succesfully used this liquid ( it looks a bit like thick milk) in screed mixes.

http://www.ronacrete.co.uk/ProductFiles/IS/ronafix.12.mixc.pdf

It allowed me to have a 5mm thick screed with no problems - you can even feather it out down to the size of the sand grains in the mix. You have to wash it off your tools within an hour or half an hour or so - otherwise they have to be binned.