Lime mortar - colour advice

mayenne_man

I have a stone house in Mayenne where the majority of the house was re-pointed when it was renovated in 2005.  The survey I had on the house indicates that it was re-pointed with a lime mix and as there are a number of small patches that need doing, inside and out, I have been trying to create a mix to blend in.

The pointing is not a single shade but is generally a sand/buff colour.  Here's the problem.  I bought a bag of hydraulic lime and have two sorts of sand.  One, quite a dark brown/yellow and one a much lighter colour left by the original builder.  However, whichever one I use, the mortar always seems to dry into a pale grey colour which is not what I'm after.

I'm aware that there are dyes on the market for mortar but somehow I cannot see the original macon going to all that trouble. 

I am mixing my sand 3 parts to 1 part lime.  I have tried 1:2 and 1:5 but I still end up with a creamy grey colour.  Am I doing something obviously wrong or does anyone have any pearls of wisdom?

I should probably qualify myself by saying that my building knowledge is virtually zero!

Thanks.

I bought a bag of white sand from a local builders place and did a 3:1 sand:chaux mix and it comes up whilte. It's a very small merchant that does lots of different sorts of sand. Spent ages trying out different sands and stuff for pointing up around the pool. You just need to look harder I guess

Hi Mayenne-man

For our pig styes we used the chaux/sand mix (ordinary chaux and river sand) but added a yellow ocre powder, you only need a little. The pointing came up in a lovely creamy gold colour. For the back of the house, we didn't bother with the dye and the pointing is greyer - but we didn't mind because it's at the back.

The front of the house was done by a mason who used a mix of white chaux and yellow sand and the pointing is a nice creamy gold colour. I think the secret was the white chaux - he also added a 'whisper' of white cement.

Perhaps it's a case of trial and error....

[quote user="Callie"]Hi Mayenne-man For our pig styes we used the chaux/sand mix (ordinary chaux and river sand) but added a yellow ocre powder, you only need a little. The pointing came up in a lovely creamy gold colour. For the back of the house, we didn't bother with the dye and the pointing is greyer - but we didn't mind because it's at the back. The front of the house was done by a mason who used a mix of white chaux and yellow sand and the pointing is a nice creamy gold colour. I think the secret was the white chaux - he also added a 'whisper' of white cement. Perhaps it's a case of trial and error....[/quote]

I wonder what the point of the wisper of white cement was?

Suggest that you take a colour sample to your local Point P or similar where you will find a colour chart. Select what you want and chart will identify the sand to be used with the appropriate chaux number.

John

I think there's on in Laval which has got to be much nearer to you?

Theres also a Big Leroy Merlin,  Mr Bricolage  etc.

In Mayenne in the Industrial estate near to Noz and Sesame there's a large merchants as well a a Bricolage.

I feel sure that if you live in Mayenne there will be little nee dto go to Alencon other than to get on the Peage!

I get my sand from Javron les Chappelles and they deliver (Leppinay I think their name is)