Light switches in French bathrooms

Giscard

Does the light switch have to be the same as in the UK ie a cord pull switch or is a wall mounted flush switch acceptable under French regulations. I would like to get it right at this stage as I notice that when selling a house now an electricity survey is required.

[quote user="Giscard"]Does the light switch have to be the same as in the UK ie a cord pull switch or is a wall mounted flush switch acceptable under French regulations. [/quote]

The light switch for our upstairs bathroom is found in the corridor outside the room because of zoning regs - our house was built in 1995 - whereas the light switch for the downstairs shower room is inside the room, due to its size.

Sue

I have a 'thing' about light switches in bathrooms, irrespective of the fact that they are allowed in the correct zone. Our upstairs bathroom is large, but the switch is outside.....because thats where I put it.

Electricity and water dont mix, except fatally.

Our apartment has the bathroom switch outside the room, although inside would have complied with the distance regulations, and a socket is just inside the door, near the basin. The separate WC has a switch inside the room. The apart,ment block is just over 1 year old.

Jo

Our French electician has quoted for the sockets in various rooms but interestingly also for 2 sockets in the family bathroom we did'nt ask for. I emailed him today to say we don't need them, what do the French use them for anyway?

The price to replace or fit new prises 16A is 115 euros per prise, plus TVA. Thats 230 euros plus TVA for 2 sockets/prises we don't need! the wirung is 40 years old. Does this sound ok?

Nemltd, we've never had sockets replaced, as it's a new apartment. However, when the place was being built in 2007 we asked for extra sockets around the apartment; this was way before the wiring was ever begun - in fact, the apartment itself didn't actually exist, being the top (of 3) layer of an incomplete building. The cost quoted by the builder was 188,46 euros plus TVA per double socket on its own, with double sockets near already planned sockets costing 94,23 euros. Changing the position of a double socket cost 25,49 euros plus TVA. It all seemed very costly to us, as my OH has rewired our homes in UK; but we went ahead with those we felt were necessary.

Jo

[quote user="nemltd"]

Our French electician has quoted for the sockets in various rooms but interestingly also for 2 sockets in the family bathroom we did'nt ask for. I emailed him today to say we don't need them, what do the French use them for anyway?

[/quote]

Broadly speaking, the regs require you to have at least 1 in a SDB of over 2 SqM. To use for what? Doesn't matter, because it is part of the regs - but how about hairdryer, curling tongs, razor, rechargeable di*ldo.....

[quote user="nemltd"]Our French electician has quoted for [...] 2 sockets in the family bathroom [...] what do the French use them for anyway?[/quote]

washing machine / tumble-dryer / razor / toothbrush / hair-dryer... [8-)]

To be doubly pedantic (but it is a serious question Nick) dont you mean that the socket for the washing machine, in the SDB in my case, has to be on a dedicated feed from the tabeleau as I have done?

Or that it has to be a special socket, (maybe one of those round pin ones) to prevent any other aplliance being used on it?

Loved the dil*o comment, have you ever come across a 240v one?

[quote user="nemltd"]

The price to replace or fit new prises 16A is 115 euros per prise, plus TVA. Thats 230 euros plus TVA for 2 sockets/prises we don't need! the wirung is 40 years old. Does this sound ok?

[/quote]

Ours are used for recharging the electrifical toothbrushes and my cordless tondeuse!

[quote user="Nick Trollope"][quote user="nemltd"]

[/quote]

Broadly speaking, the regs require you to have at least 1 in a SDB of over 2 SqM. To use for what? Doesn't matter, because it is part of the regs - but how about hairdryer, curling tongs, razor, rechargeable di*ldo.....

[/quote]

Can the rechargeable whatsit plug in to any socket.

[quote user="J.Rs gone native"]

To be doubly pedantic (but it is a serious question Nick) dont you mean that the socket for the washing machine, in the SDB in my case, has to be on a dedicated feed from the tabeleau as I have done?

Or that it has to be a special socket, (maybe one of those round pin ones) to prevent any other aplliance being used on it?

Loved the dil*o comment, have you ever come across a 240v one?

[/quote]

Yes, what you have done is correct (although 20A sockets are available).

I have yet to source a NF-marked mains-powered thingummy.

[quote user="lacote0_0"][quote user="Sunday Driver"]

A wall mounted flush switch is acceptable provided it's placed in the correct 'zone' within the bathroom.

[/quote]

Above the lavatory?
[/quote]

Assuming the loo is in volume 3, then yes.

Bearing in mind that the regs kind of ignore loos in bathrooms - it doesn't happen!!

• 4 weeks later...
[quote user="SteveTheLight"]I agree. But I have seen sockets that would enable a telley to be balanced on the end of the bath in such a way so that one could change channels with a toe...[/quote]

While watching soaps