Fridge not working

WendyG

Hi all

I purchased a Curtiss fridge for the guest annexe which is not used all the time so is left unplugged.

Last time plugged it in and discovered not working (about 5 years old - used less than 1 year in total).

Any helpful suggestions - other than the tip - would be gratefully received.

I have an old fridge in UK whch is at least 15 years old and gets turned and off as needed and it still springs into life when switched on.

Not at all happy with French appliances so far.

Fridge needed for friends next month and do not really want to go out and buy another one at great expense compared to UK.

Thanks

Wendy

Hello Wendy

In my experience I have found fridge kit does not being turned off for long periods.......but lets just check a few things .....is there any sound at all when you turn it on?

Humming?.........Clicking?..........if humming does the compressor (the black dome on the bottom back) get hot?

Come back to me with answers and let see if we can work out what may be the fault.

Depending where you are I could take a look

Regards

If the light comes on when the fridge is plugged in, but nothing else happens at all, i.e. no motor noise, no sign of life except for the internal light, it is likely to be the thermostat - which can normally be changed.

I found this when my 6-year old Whirlpool fridge did just that - the shop I'd bought it from said "Bin it, it's too old, must buy a new one!". Another shop, where they do "dépannage", came to take it away - bringing me another, reconditioned fridge to tie me over, and then told me it was the thermostat - could be fixed for 80-90 euros. This is where they said the thermostat is the most likely part to go wrong.

Hi

Sorry not to have replied before but have been away for a few days.

Yes fridge light does come on when plugged in - no hum or any kind of noise.  Note about the thermostat -, if this is the case then it might be cheaper to get someone to bring me a new one from UK as they are still much cheaper than the French ones.

Thanks for all the suggestions I am in department 37 bordering on 86 (12 miles from Loudon).

Might try the suggestion of a tap on the thermostat - cannot do any harm and might do the trick!

Thanks to you all for your suggestions.

Wendy

Something I did to check for a faulty thermostat and that is to find the two connections to the thermostat and short them together and see if the compressor runs. Do make sure you have not found the wiring to the door switch and lamp or the wiring to the compressor. 

! Of course you need to make sure the fridge is unplugged when playing with the wiring and to make sure the temporary connection does not touch anything like the surrounding metalwork of the fridge!

Then stand well back and plug in and see if it runs. Don't be tempted to touch anything on the fridge whilst it is running in this state. Best not to try if you have zero electrical appliance experience however it is a pretty conclusive test one way or the other............................................JR

our fridge in France is also very temperamental, it seems to be something to do with the house being shut up for long periods of time, as once we have all the doors and windows open it clicks into life....it also gets a bit miffed when it's very hot weather, it's does lots of clicking but the motor won't kick in. It only seems to work ok once we have phoned the gitem engineer to come out and look at it.!

Wendy, the best thing is to get someone qualified in to have a look at it for you. With the best will you are obviously not an electrician and as such if you get it wrong it will bite!

See if you can get a recomendation from a neighbour for someone to check it. It's much cheaper than a possible accident!

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...