Buying a house by procuration/proxy

I did it because 48 hours after seeing the property I left to go backpacking around the world.

It worked, I had no more contact with anyone after transferring the money to the notaire in advance, I didnt speak any French, I had no idea what was going on and it was simply a leap of faith, it did make it a hassle free transaction for me though.

I was uncontactable, I didnt take a mobile phone and internet cafés were few and far between, besides, neither the notaire or the person I gave the procuration used E-mail, it wasnt until I crossed the border into R.S.A. from Mozambique and found a payphone that I found out that I had become a propriétaire, it went through very quickly, about quinze jours but that was probably because it was a liquidation rather than a procuration.

Every year as my French gets better I re-read the acte de vente in case I missed something like me not actually owning the property [:P], it probably took a full 5 years before I was confident that I did! 

I have sold and, I think, bought, according "procuration" to the notaire's clerk. Seemed to be quite a usual thing.

It's a bit more complicated if somebody abroad (ie not in a France) wants to set it up without coming back to France. I seem to remember that they have to find a French-qualified notaire in their own country in front of whom to sign the procuration document.

Angela

• 5 weeks later...
We have recently had on offer von our house and the Compris de vente will be by procuration but not the acte de vente.

We're still trying to understand the electrical part of the diagnostics - 20 pages of complete gobbledegook.  When we bought the house 12 years ago, it covered half a page of A4.

I did have a quick chat with the notaire about procuration sales; it seems that since the anti-moneylaundering rules things are a tiny bit tighter. If the buyer or seller are known to the notaire, have been seen before or signed the compromis with someone who can vouch for them, then sale by procuration will be permitted. If not, then they will be reluctant to let it go this way.

However, she did point out that there are no hard and fast rules, just as for the 10% deposit, so it will vary from notaire to notaire.

JeanS, as regards the electrics, usually there will be a ticked or crossed box which indicates the area of major problems plus a short summary. If in doubt, try and get an electrician to look at the paperwork; he or she should be able to guide you.

On the other hand, Chancer is a bit of a whoz at electrics I think so maybe he might be able to guide you.

Thanks - I've cut and pasted the report into google translate, which gives an idea of what the report contains. Some of which contracdicts what has been previosly stated. The potential buyer is asking questions. Over the last 12 years we've had various things done to the house which have required electrical work all done by qualified electricians.  However the house is over 150 years old and some parts still have old electrics. We never had any problems and have used the old staying ' if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.

I am thinking of going back to the person who did the survey and ask him for a short report in plain French ( is there such a thing) of exactly what is wrong.

Should I worry - Seems like I am!!!!

I am by no means an expert but could try to give you an opinion if you can send it via pm or email, but do NOT take my word as gospel. French version please.

In my recent sale the diagnostique quite rightly noted one circuited that needed earthing but completely failed to notice that all the rest of the house had an up to date earthing system.

These reports do sound like the crack of doom is opening but they are only covering their rather too plump backsides in many cases.