Electrical Work

Konrad

If I want to carry out electrical work such as wiring in an extractor in the bathroom that is activated by the light switch, am I alowed to do this myself or do I have to get a qualified/trained electrician to do the work or check it out.

Thanks Nick. Is it normally a separate operating switch here. I just thought with the lights being above the bathroom I could easily run a spur to the extractor, similar to the one I used to have in the UK Is there any other reason why they don't have light switch operated extractors?.

Beg to differ Nick and BigMac, available in all the usual Brico's, fitted one last year.

Page 183 in Brico Depots catalogue, avec timer and the manufacturers instruction show connection to the lights, they are only around 25 watts so no danger of overloading.

[quote user="teapot"]Page 183 in Brico Depots catalogue, avec timer and the manufacturers instruction show connection to the lights, they are only around 25 watts so no danger of overloading.[/quote]

That is exactly what I dont want in my bathrooms!! they are so annoying! go in the bathroom to use the mirror or quick wash of hands and the bl**dy fan comes on, then doesn't go off for ages, had all my put in with pull cord/switch so I choose when it comes on!

I thought we were all supposed to be saving energy not wasting it on extracting good clean warm air! 

Because I am such a smart alec I have put in two light switches, 1 for the main light and fan and the 2nd for the lights above the mirror allowing me to use the mirror or wash my hands without activating the fan.

25watts of power for 10 minutes to extract the good clean but steamy air so as to prevent mould is not energy wasted in my book. It is less wasteful than filling the kettle up with too much water to make a cuppa.

Simples [:)]

[quote user="teapot"]

25watts of power for 10 minutes to extract the good clean but steamy air so as to prevent mould is not energy wasted in my book. [/quote]

Ah but I 'm not saying I don't put the fan on when its needed (steamy showers and baths or loo odours) its all the other times when its not that I object to paying for.

[quote user="teapot"]

Because I am such a smart alec I have put in two light switches, 1 for the main light and fan and the 2nd for the lights above the mirror allowing me to use the mirror or wash my hands without activating the fan.

[:)][/quote]

wow, now thats scary, we must have the same bathroom  [8-)]

[quote user="expat paul"][quote user="teapot"]

[:)][/quote]

wow, now thats scary, we must have the same bathroom  [8-)]
[/quote]

Pass me the loofa [:D]